Hitch Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I have had good luck with mine and its stock. I have driven 400 miles one way with no issues, as the longest trip I have taken. I do want to put lights on as shown...looks good.

Last edited by jkskeen; 12-19-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Bike and rack look great Maquette, dig the $15.00 wind shield !

Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pauls2ndblessing
Bike and rack look great Maquette, dig the $15.00 wind shield !
Thanks Paul. I put my Nomadic rack on today and made and installed the bracket to hold my Kolpin 1.5 gal fuel tank. Tomorrow is 13 tooth sprocket day and then I need to ride it some and see how I feel about the suspension and power.

I know you are waiting for parts, hope you'll keep us posted on your progress.

Tom
Oriental, NC

Old 12-11-2012, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maquette
Thanks Paul. I put my Nomadic rack on today and made and installed the bracket to hold my Kolpin 1.5 gal fuel tank. Tomorrow is 13 tooth sprocket day and then I need to ride it some and see how I feel about the suspension and power.

I know you are waiting for parts, hope you'll keep us posted on your progress.

Tom
Oriental, NC
I definitely will keep you guys posted.

I am really curious how you'll like the 13t sprocket so I'll check back tomorrow for impressions

Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I just finished assembling and mounting my hitch carrier, as well as making a stand for support. I sure hope you guys are right on the sturdiness of this setup!

I also mounted my $15.00 Harbor Freight windshield and my Nomadic rack should be here tomorrow and then I can mount my Kolpin and hopefully head for the woods.

Thanks all for your suggestions and support.

Tom

I have that same carrier but for 2 bikes
I hate it with a passion
the bar mounting point in the middle has to be the worse location ever, and the v bars your tires have to roll across again the worse thing they could of used. Makes it real hard to roll up heavy bikes
and I even had a bike roll back some and fall off once because of the middle tie down

now I have to strap the rear wheel towards the center to keep it from rolling
oh and the 3 foot ramp or whatever length they send is worthless if your hitch sits high
I tore apart a bottom of a scooter pulling it off once
so its like pushing up a bike on a 70 degree incline

even though I got it for free I almost lost a classic bike that one time it fell off luckily it fell towards my truck and I was able to save a mint ct90 Man I was so pissed

Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Umm, I don't get it, I see a perfectly good truck bed there

Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Savage
Umm, I don't get it, I see a perfectly good truck bed there
In my case, I almost always have a camper/topper on my truck so I have a place to sleep when I get to my riding area. Another poster had a pic of his on the back of his truck while he had two other dirt bikes in the back. If I didn't have my topper on there I would probably not use the hitch carrier. YMMV.

Tom
Oriental, NC

Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

In my case, I almost always have a camper/topper on my truck so I have a place to sleep when I get to my riding area. Another poster had a pic of his on the back of his truck while he had two other dirt bikes in the back. If I didn't have my topper on there I would probably not use the hitch carrier. YMMV.
My new truck, 3x bikes.
Name:  DSCF1382_zps312402b4.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  163.7 KB

My old truck with a topper. Topper is great for stowing gear and sleeping in. Name:  Picture1103.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  173.5 KB

Old 01-17-2013, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I also mounted my $15.00 Harbor Freight windshield and my Nomadic rack should be here tomorrow and then I can mount my Kolpin and hopefully head for the woods.

Hey Tom, can you show some close ups of the windshield. I'm interested in making a wiindshield myself. Is that a safety face shield that you used?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I'm not a form over function person, but on these KLX's, is is really worth having an ugly face shield bolted on your headlight? I mean, I ride my KLX to the trails generally, about 40 miles round trip. I've never thought to myself, gee, I wish my dual sport had a windshield or a face shield bolted upside down to a not that sturdy number plate...

Quick Reply: Hitch Carrier