Hitch Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Hitch Carrier

Well, I just finished assembling and mounting my hitch carrier, as well as making a stand for support. I sure hope you guys are right on the sturdiness of this setup!

I also mounted my $15.00 Harbor Freight windshield and my Nomadic rack should be here tomorrow and then I can mount my Kolpin and hopefully head for the woods.

Thanks all for your suggestions and support.

Tom

Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought the same one last summer and it works great, I also installed tail lights on it.
Name:  0b94262d9fdd0d1b60a943081e83d4df_zps3bf26229.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  248.1 KB

Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rosed
I bought the same one last summer and it works great, I also installed tail lights on it.
]
Glad to hear that. Tell me about the tail lights please, I was starting to look around on the web.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I just purchased a trailer lighting kit at our local automotive supply store (canadian Tire)
for about $20, comes with lights, wiring, plugs, and great instructions!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rosed
I just purchased a trailer lighting kit at our local automotive supply store (canadian Tire)
I looked at Canadian Tire online, but didn't see any like yours. I like the way they are shaped. Most I see are more "squared" up, while yours seem more rectangular. Any grounding issues with them since they are mounted on aluminum?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

yes, they have the bigger square ones, and this size as well. no grounding issues as far as i know, they still work.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Who makes the hitch?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sealsam
Who makes the hitch?
I bought mine used off Craigslist, but I believe it's made by Rage and sold through several retailers with their name on it. Here's a link to one of the more popular sellers:

Lightweight Aluminum Motorcycle Carrier - The AMC-400

The quality seems fine, I just worry about all that weight hanging out there, even though it's under the rated 400 lb load. Hopefully I won't be the first one to see the KLX bouncing down the road in my rear view mirror!

Tom

Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I just added stick-on red reflectors from Harbor Freight.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I worried about the cantilever on mine. It stuck out a mile and only had about 3" total inside the hitch tube. I drilled new mounting holes that brought it in as close to my bumper as possible... took a good 8" of cantilever off it (over the stock location). Now I feel like I can watch the road, instead of watching my mirrors all the time.

Just make sure to use ratchet straps instead of cam-buckles!!! I almost lost my bike the second time I had it on the hauler because the cam-buckles loosened themselves. It was leaning 30 degrees to the rear. Only thing that saved it was the wheel holder, and the fact that I stopped as soon as I noticed it leaning.

Quick Reply: Hitch Carrier