Highway speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 09:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Highway speed?

For 70% highway use, the DRZ would be a much better bike.

If you're looking at 650s, the XR is the most dirt-able of them (not much heavier than a DRZ after some dietary work), the KLR the LEAST dirt able of them (you'd be crazy to take that thing into any singletrack), with the DR laying somewhere in the middle.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I've seen the KLR hit lots of jumps, seen one on a track too. Seen some KLR's on some pretty raunchy stuff. Same with the XR.
And as for Mr bones, yeah. The bike will do 70-75. But my car will also probably do 220 if it didn't have a governor in it.
If I remember right, on the stock KLX 70-75 was absolutely wide open. Not exactly a cruise

Old 11-10-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrbones

So 70mph is about 77mph indicated. Any speed over that and the front end will start to wobble, even with my motard front fender and WER steering stablizer cranked to the max. The rake is too steep so there's nothing we can do about it. It's needed for good offroad handling. The fastest I've ever had this thing up to is 78mph (85mph indicated), but it took slight down hill and some time to get there. The bike just isn't stable at those speeds.
Yes, you can attribute some of that to the rake, but I think you dirt tires are playing a part as well. I run with 17" street tires/wheels and can run it wide-open without any wobble. I get wobble after making abrupt steering inputs or throttling out of a corner at 100KPH+ with bumps in the pavement.

Aren't you theguy whosaid he's running around with aW.E.R. damper for an R6?

Old 11-10-2007, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

KLR's can do pretty amazing things with the right rider, but I suppose you could say that about any bike. They are reportedly more stable in the loose stuff than the KLX is.

ORIGINAL: green242

I've seen the KLR hit lots of jumps, seen one on a track too. Seen some KLR's on some pretty raunchy stuff. Same with the XR.
And as for Mr bones, yeah. The bike will do 70-75. But my car will also probably do 220 if it didn't have a governor in it.
If I remember right, on the stock KLX 70-75 was absolutely wide open. Not exactly a cruise

Old 11-12-2007, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Any speed over that and the front end will start to wobble, even with my motard front fender and WER steering stablizer cranked to the max. The rake is too steep so there's nothing we can do about it. It's needed for good offroad handling. The fastest I've ever had this thing up to is 78mph (85mph indicated),
I would have to agree with tremor on this one.I am running stock size wheels with Dunlop D607's and I have seen 96 mph indicated on the gps with no wobble whatsoever.I am not using a damper either.It was a slight downhill and with stock gearing and all my mods.It went great till about 85 then it took some time to get 'er up there to that speed.She was turning about 9500 rpm on the tach but i would imagine that is off prolly as much as the speedo is.I was also trying to outrun a thunderstorm as i had left my rain gear at home.....normally i wouldn't try to go that fast.
This bike is my daily commuter with a one way trip of 14 miles each way but no highway involved.For my offroad use it get's a 14-49 sprocket setup a different chain and a set of kenda TM II's.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I went on the 635 loop in Dallas on Friday for about 20 miles and it was a little more adventure than I was planning for. I tried to stay up with a GS650 in the HOV lane going 75+ mph but it was pretty windy and I was getting blown around a lot. It had the power to do it but it is too light and doesn't feel safe at those speeds.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine does the wobble thing at high speeds. I'm sure the tires are to blame. I find that sliding back on the seat helps a ton. Then lean forward to cut into the wind. I can cruise pretty comfortably on the highway with the speedo at 90 but after a while I get tired of the riding position. Tires and a Fairing would do wonders for highway riding But I love the off road stuff too much. Especially now that I can take some jumps.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

I can cruise pretty comfortably on the highway with the speedo at 90 but after a while I get tired of the riding position.
You're speedo must be off a bit further then mine.
My bone stock KLX250 wouldn't do 90 if I dropped it out of an plane.

I ride mine for extended periods (80+ miles nonstop, gas-up and do it again) at 70mph + and it is a little twitchy, I have been able to reduce the front wheel wobble by increasing the tire pressure a few lbs with the stock tire.
After installing a balanced set of IRC GP110 tires It doesn't wobble nearly as bad and the bike feels noticably more solid on the pavement.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:21 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

I can cruise pretty comfortably on the highway with the speedo at 90 but after a while I get tired of the riding position.
You're speedo must be off a bit further then mine.
My bone stock KLX250 wouldn't do 90 if I dropped it out of an plane.

I ride mine for extended periods (80+ miles nonstop, gas-up and do it again) at 70mph + and it is a little twitchy, I have been able to reduce the front wheel wobble by increasing the tire pressure a few lbs with the stock tire.
After installing a balanced set of IRC GP110 tires It doesn't wobble nearly as bad and the bike feels noticably more solid on the pavement.
Mines bone stock & I seem to remember once hitting above 90 on the speedo so I figure it was at least 80 something. It was a while ago so I'll try it again and see what my max is. I'm also only 155 Lbs so that probably helps. I also don't see why people bash 6th gear! Other than up hill it keeps pulling strong. I think some of the mods Affect top end more than people think.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I try for 7th gear all the time.

Quick Reply: Highway speed?