Hemingway Butte Ride Photos

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Nice! I think it looks even better with the graphic on there.

One thing to think about. The countershaft cover also has the engine case protector fitted with it. It's not too substantial, but might save an engine case if the chain broke. I've thought about making a case saver out of billet aluminum so I would feel better about running without the cover.
Dan
Hey Dan - thanks for the compliment on the graphic. I like it too. Kind of set's it off from the rest.

So is the engine case protector that wimpy little piece of steel strip that fits between the cover and the case? Would it really stop chain on its way into the case? I suppose it would help, but I aren't to impressed with it already. I've never broke a chain yet, but I suppose it happens and the drive sprocket is going to pull it in hard. The clay mud plugged right into that case, and also into the chain guide at the rear sprocket. And it must of got hot from friction there as even after a good wash, the clay was dry and hard where it was wet and soft anywhere else on the bike. That can't be good on the chain. I was running the stock 14T front sprocket and noticed that the clay was even driven into the rubber noise-reducing bushing thing so that its all deformed now. Throwing that thing away. I like your thoughts on a billet protector. Make something good and I'm buying!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
So is the engine case protector that wimpy little piece of steel strip that fits between the cover and the case? I was running the stock 14T front sprocket and noticed that the clay was even driven into the rubber noise-reducing bushing thing so that its all deformed now. Throwing that thing away.
Yeah thats the "case protector". Like you said, pretty wimpy, wouldn't do much. They make aftermarket ones, but I haven't found one for our bikes.

I know what you are talking about, with the rubber on the sprocket. If your sprocket is still good, keep it, the rubber is easily removed, it's molded through the sprocket. Start cutting you'll see what I mean.
Here's a pic of mine. I ended up choosing to replace mine since the teeth were getting hooked.
Dan

Look familiar??
Name:  IMG_7522-1.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  61.9 KB

Last edited by dan888; 01-27-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Yeah thats the "case protector". Like you said, pretty wimpy, wouldn't do much. They make aftermarket ones, but I haven't found one for our bikes.

I know what you are talking about, with the rubber on the sprocket. If your sprocket is still good, keep it, the rubber is easily removed, it's molded through the sprocket. Start cutting you'll see what I mean.
Here's a pic of mine. I ended up choosing to replace mine since the teeth were getting hooked.
Dan

Look familiar??
Yes Dan, that looks very familiar. My teeth aren't hooked yet, but they do show some wear. The stock sprockets and chain have about 3500 miles on them. I put on the 49T rear (love it!) and a new chain and planned to run either the 13 or 15 CS depending on what I'm riding, but had the 14 on for this last ride. I'll cut off the rubber and keep it in the spare parts bin, which seems to be getting kinda full

Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Just today the guy that bought my little KLX 150 was asking if I had the chain cover, as I took that thing off during the first week of serious off-road use.

The little 150s are super popular here, and we looked at a bunch of bikes, at least 10, and every single one of them had that guard removed.

Also, while I haven't looked at my 250 yet, on the 150 at least, they are just plastic. They can save your toes or whatever if you happen to land on the bike awkwardly after a prang and the rear wheel happens to still be spinning. So you have to weigh that against the "My freakin' chain has come off AGAIN?" feeling.

Also where we ride we often get vines growing across the trail, and those things just love to get themselves tangled with the chain.

Guess where they jam up and cause problems?