HELP Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default HELP Suspension Questions

The manual says the bike is set up for a 150 lb rider. I'm about 175 with gear.

I want to make my ride a little more firm. How do I adjust these setting to get that.

Front Compression Damping:
8 clicks from fully seated position is normal.
Is 1 click from fully seated position more or less firm than normal?

Rear Rebound Damping:
12 clicks from fully seated position is normal.

Rear Compression Damping:
16 clicks from fully seated position is normal.

Spring preload:
It looks like the rear shock has three settings to adjust total.
How does the preload factor in?

Thanks

Old 07-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The best way to remember which direction to go on the clickers is to remember that the clickers connect to a tapered needle which opens or closes a hole that allows oil to flow between the chambers. Tighten to close (clockwise) and loosen to open. This applies to all the clickers, both fork and shock. Close the needle to restrict oil flow, open it to allow it to flow more freely.

Spring preload is for setting the bike's sag which needs to be in the proper range for best handling. Cranking up (or down) the preload is not intended to compensate for an improper spring rate for your weight, it's just to get it into the proper zone. If you have too soft of a spring and crank the preload down to compensate, the bike will handle poorly. And vice versa.

http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/sag.html

http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/spring-rates.html

Old 07-04-2009, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah changing the springs is the correct way to do it but not all of us have $300+ laying around. I just jacked on the spring preload last weekend; definately firmed up the rear. My bike had entirely too much free sag, so I just turned the spring and took most of it out. Rides alot better now, much firmer, it'll be interesting to see how it handles on the trails.... probably start pogo'ing my **** right off LOL

The service manual (and I guess the little booklet I forget) should say which direction to turn the clickers to increase/decrease each setting.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the links Nobrakes. But you didnt really say and I'm assuming tightening the screw or closing the hole makes the damper firmer???

So then,
Front Compression Damping:
8 clicks from fully seated position is normal.
Is 1 click from fully seated position more or less firm than normal? It would be more firm

And no cliffsta the manual just shows you where they are and what setting they are at for everything even and a 150lb rider. I guess they just want you to do a little trial and error.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigGreenBastard
And no cliffsta the manual just shows you where they are and what setting they are at for everything even and a 150lb rider. I guess they just want you to do a little trial and error.
Clicker settings are not really there for rider weight adjustments, that's what the springs are for. You'll find the right spring for your weight in a table.

The clickers are tuned for the terrain. Different settings for different types of terrain and riding.

The springs support your weight. The valving controls damping, both compression and rebound. The clickers fine tune the valving.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Mmmmm more information. Thanks cliffsta.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Nobrakes is correct.
The springs carry the weight.
They ultimately control how far the suspension will compress when subjected to a particular load.

The valves and therefore the clickers control how fast oil flows and therefore the action of the shock.
Both when compressing and when rebounding.

A finite force or weight will compress a spring a certain amount.
What the compression valving/clickers do is control how fast it will compress to that position.
Turning the clicker clockwise restricts the flow of oil and so dampens or slows the rate of compression.
But it doesn't necessarily affect how far it will compress.

Same for rebound valving/clickers.
They control the rate of rebound.

Oil viscosity also has an affect in much the same way.
Thicker oil will slow the rate of flow and in turn slow the action of the suspension.