help removing stubborn disk bolts

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Many discs are mounted with a bolt that uses an allen wrench on one side and a nut on the other. DON'T try and loosen the bolt with the hex key, ALWAY's turn the nut. Why?
The hex key end of the bolt usually has a taper fit, which has more surface area than the nut and is somewhat locked into place. What happens is the hex gets torn out easily as it was never meant to turn the bolt, only to hold it until the locking effect of the taper assists so you can torque the nut.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Kano-kroil is awesome!!!! It has worked for me where every other ordinary wd-40,liquid wrench, or PB blaster etc etc has failed. It's on another level than anything else I've used. Let it soak for a day or two. Good luck with those bolts.
Dan

Old 06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
1st Gear Member

geez, i log in to check if there are any answers to my thread and am overwhelmed with advice. This forum is lively and helpfull. Thanks alot guys. Buy the looks of things, i need penetrating oil, a heat gun, an impact wrench and locktite for the new bolts. Hhmmm.. Im wondering if i should just go see a fully equipped mechanic coz i just dont have those tools. I suppose if i want the job done properly i better do it myself. I am from indonesia btw and have always been curious if the 351 bore up kit is avalable for the kawasaki here?? Geez if it is locally avalable im so jellous
Btw this forum has helped me learn alot of things. I recently used advice from this forum to fix oil leaks from my engine and it went well. Now i just wish there was a big bore kit for my bike

Old 06-18-2010, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Originally Posted by beebop
geez, i log in to check if there are any answers to my thread and am overwhelmed with advice. This forum is lively and helpfull. Thanks alot guys. Buy the looks of things, i need penetrating oil, a heat gun, an impact wrench and lock-tite for the new bolts. Hhmmm.. Im wondering if i should just go see a fully equipped mechanic coz i just dont have those tools. I suppose if i want the job done properly i better do it myself. I am from indonesia btw and have always been curious if the 351 bore up kit is available for the kawasaki here?? Geez if it is locally avalable im so jellous
Btw this forum has helped me learn alot of things. I recently used advice from this forum to fix oil leaks from my engine and it went well. Now i just wish there was a big bore kit for my bike
You could certainly call Bill and ask about it, just look up here http://bandbcyclerestorations.com/page_5.html

As for tools, heat gun isn't the tool you want... not enough heat and more overall than you want. A torch is the deal with heat on this. And no need to be jealous... shop patiently and go green!

Old 06-18-2010, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Is your bike RED????
don't be hatin,,,,
just askin,,,,,,
: )

Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Impact screwdrivers are cheap. I have this one and it has saved me on a lot of projects.

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html

You will need to scrape up some allen head sockets (I made my own) and an adaptor to use them on a 1/2" drive.