help needed, 2007 klx250 cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default help needed, 2007 klx250 cables

hey all,

another winter build here. I'm going with a 351 kit w/pumper carb (just arrived!) and swapping all plastics out for more modern look. i'm 6'2 and after riding on my KDX220 i can't stand the factory bars so i also got some pro taper adventure high bends. I may end up getting a lower bar, they are WAY higher with the adapters and i'm just sure i'm happy with the look (however it sure is comfy when i stand up on the pegs). I was able to squeeze the throttle on but its too tight (had to cut an inch of the ends of the bars) but the clutch doesn't stand a chance.

anyways, i did some research on new throttle and clutch cables and came see that Motion pro has good options that guys went with on different model years with these same bars.

cable clutch part # 03-0389 +2 in
throttle pull part # 03-0387 +2 in
throttle push part # 03-0388 +2 in

these are in stock at Motion Pro but these are for 09/10 models. When i asked Motion Pro about the 2007 model year OEM numbers this was the response i got :

"While we do have information in house to custom build your throttle pull and push cable, we’ve never developed an OEM replacement clutch cable for your model, so generally we don’t have any information documented on it. In this case we would need you to send in your stock clutch cable so it can be used as a reference to custom build your new cable. We are able to duplicate most mechanical cables, but we can’t be 100% sure until we’ve had a chance to review your sample.Retail cost to custom build your throttle cables in standard black vinyl is USD $60.00 per each pull and push cable. Custom cable orders for undeveloped applications, or for use with components we have no documentation of require more labor to process and review, and as such have a higher cost that a standard +/- order based on a part number we currently or have previously offered.
The Estimated Retail Cost to custom make your cable in standard black vinyl is USD$118.00-$168.00 per clutch cable. Shipping charges are additional. "

i'm a little confused by their pricing explanation (going from 60 to 118-168 per cable) but either way, this is super expensive. Does anyone know if the 09 model year cables will work, or if there are better options? Like i said i may go down to some lower bars but either way i'm going with higher than stock and will likely need new cables regardless.

any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-15-2019, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think the pumper carb needs the push cable, I set mine up without one... saves one cable.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Motion Pro does know how to add 2 inches to the throttle pull cable without doing an expensive one-off custom. My local shop, Moto One, in Boise, Idaho, and I worked with them to set up a standard.
Search "throttle" on the FAQs in my sig line. There may be something there.
I'm running a pumper carb with Acerbis tank and cannot use the push cable, so sorry, no help there.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 01-15-2019, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

i have +3 cables laying around

Old 01-16-2019, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Blue print for longer throttle cable is here Mikuni TM 36-68 Pumper Carb

Old 01-16-2019, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks everyone! Good stuff here. I double checked with Bill and it is in fact just the pull cable no push. i will report back with what i went with and hopefully some success.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Terry Cables can make what you need.
Welcome to TerryCable - Racing Products

Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
Blue print for longer throttle cable is here Mikuni TM 36-68 Pumper Carb
thank you for this- motion pro will now make the cable for $60+shipping with the measurements provided. interesting that they also require you to sign a waver acknowledging the risks of opting to not use a push cable. the only thing they asked was to confirm that i was using the stock throttle assembly which i am so we should be good!

i opted for the 54 inch clutch cable from motion pro for the YZF and also switched out to a different set of bars, pro taper contour pastrana bend.

back with the results when done!

Old 04-02-2019, 05:14 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by defenestrate
thank you for this- motion pro will now make the cable for $60+shipping with the measurements provided. interesting that they also require you to sign a waver acknowledging the risks of opting to not use a push cable. the only thing they asked was to confirm that i was using the stock throttle assembly which i am so we should be good!

i opted for the 54 inch clutch cable from motion pro for the YZF and also switched out to a different set of bars, pro taper contour pastrana bend.

back with the results when done!
Interesting on the waiver. I guess my throttle cable from them is close to 2 years old now, and there was no warning or waiver. Does that mean I can contact an attorney for a big pay out? I hear Michael Avanatti is available now...LOL! OP you'll be fine with the one cable. Man, those bars you mention in your pic really are tall, aren't they.

Quick Reply: help needed, 2007 klx250 cables