extended cables, clutch & throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default extended cables, clutch & throttle

I recently added Fasst Flexx Bars to my 14 KLX250, then quickly finding my cables are now too short. One would think it's fairly simple to see how long they are, then order new ones slightly longer, but alas no. KLX being around for so long, it always mystifies me when the aftermarket is absent. If you reach out to a brand name cable company or retailer, they literally do not know the length of cable that is stock or of the one they are selling. MotionPro for example, it's as if they are hiding it from you.

To help those that follow, here's is my findings:

stock KLX250 throttle cables, can be rerouted to find significantly more length while still safe for full turning travel. I did this, suggest you do the same, no need to replace with longer.
stock KLX250 clutch cable is 43", stock KLR650 is 47". I went with the KLR cable, but even with this added length, I had to reroute in a new fashion that I'm not thrilled about.

After further research, nearly all clutch cables have the same ends, so opt for an even longer version, maybe 49 or 50 as it would provide the true needed length for taller bar set-ups. When I search on eBay using the words Clutch Cable Length, many affordable, generic cables are found, stating their actual length, making it easy to purchase truly what you need.

I hope this is of help.
–Anthony

Old 04-27-2018, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Generic version
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-New-C...0d40%7Ciid%3A1

Quality version, MOTION PRO 05-0343
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-27-2018, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Good information, thanks!
I need to put in my spare KLR cable as my stock cable with bar risers is a bit too snug.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:33 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta
I recently added Fasst Flexx Bars to my 14 KLX250, then quickly finding my cables are now too short. One would think it's fairly simple to see how long they are, then order new ones slightly longer, but alas no. KLX being around for so long, it always mystifies me when the aftermarket is absent. If you reach out to a brand name cable company or retailer, they literally do not know the length of cable that is stock or of the one they are selling. MotionPro for example, it's as if they are hiding it from you.

To help those that follow, here's is my findings:

stock KLX250 throttle cables, can be rerouted to find significantly more length while still safe for full turning travel. I did this, suggest you do the same, no need to replace with longer.
stock KLX250 clutch cable is 43", stock KLR650 is 47". I went with the KLR cable, but even with this added length, I had to reroute in a new fashion that I'm not thrilled about.

After further research, nearly all clutch cables have the same ends, so opt for an even longer version, maybe 49 or 50 as it would provide the true needed length for taller bar set-ups. When I search on eBay using the words Clutch Cable Length, many affordable, generic cables are found, stating their actual length, making it easy to purchase truly what you need.

I hope this is of help.
–Anthony
How did you re route it? I tried today and gained nothing 🤦*♂️

Old 11-06-2019, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I purchased new, longer, throttle cables from motion pro last year. I think they were 1.5" longer. My bike is a 2018. They should have the measurements.

Toph