HELP! 2009 KLX oil pouring out of case & smoking from case!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Changing that seal is not a hard job, just takes a little bit of patience. I've done it once, didn't take long.

Clean the case up good before splitting it.

Also, it appears there's a lot of RTV around the water pump cover. I'm willing to bet that the previous owner has been in there before to try to fix or locate the problem. From the factory there is only a gasket there and no RTV if I remember correctly.

Good luck.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Changing that seal is not a hard job, just takes a little bit of patience. I've done it once, didn't take long.

Clean the case up good before splitting it.

Also, it appears there's a lot of RTV around the water pump cover. I'm willing to bet that the previous owner has been in there before to try to fix or locate the problem. From the factory there is only a gasket there and no RTV if I remember correctly.

Good luck.
CL, are you sure about the gasket sealer in the pic? Looks like it could be oil that appears to be pooling on mating surfaces and all around the area. I don't know...could be either...internet pics lacking compared to my x-ray vision.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

That "RTV" that you see looks like oil blown up there onto the seem. Not certain if it is RTV. This bike is very new, it could have been a warranty repair too.

How can this happen? The bike has a fan to eliminate overheating. The oil system is wet sump (good volume) and these bikes aren't known for oil or water consumption. No apparent crash damage. The radiator will blow off pressure out the vent.

Only thing I can think of is a head gasket blow or broken piston rig pressurizing the crankcase beyond what the carncase vent (and it's orifice) can allow. The pressure would overcome the seal at the water pump and blow it out. Is this a likely scenario?

Time for a 351 kit eh?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the thoughts so far. And those manual pics help. I have a few hours before work. I am going to take a look inside that engine to see if anything looks obvious to my untrained eyes. I certainly can't hurt it! Worse case is I can't figure it out and I put the bike in the truck and bring it to the shop. I will let everyone know what I find (or someone else finds if I can't figure it out).

Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the bike problems,,,that blows. Keep us up to date on any progress, and let us know if you need further assistance and moral support. Oh and welcome to the forums.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I would definitely be calling the previous owner. Remind him it's not too late to go through small claims court.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
I would definitely be calling the previous owner. Remind him it's not too late to go through small claims court.
Yes, it is one thing if he told you it had a problem but to try and hide it like he did isn't cool.

He was obviously aware.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you own a baseball bat? If not, they can be had for like $10 at Wallmart. I'd use that and go meet the original owner for a discussion.

Seriously, I'd prob go and file against him. You were literally robbed and he made a good faith deal with you right? I'm betting you asked if/what may be wrong that is known and if there were any issues you might need to hear about... and I bet he looked you in the eye and told you all was well on earth and this bike.

Man, it would be soooo hard not to go hurt this dude.

I just got my 09 used and had I been rooked and robbed I would be fit to be tied.

May god be with you, and I hope your situation is not to painfull to overcome.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

perhaps he just filled it with oil and the crankcase pressurized and blew the seal. Perhaps he didn't know what he was doing. anyway it will be interesting for us to find out what it is.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I began to take the bike apart on my own but then realized I did not have some of the tools I would need to torque properly and I was not 100% certain what to look for. So I stopped and put it back together.

I put in fresh oil and just stuck some soft water in the radiator holder and rode it about 12 miles to a proper place to get it fixed with no issue other than fluid slowly starting to blow through the weep hole, but not long enough distance to cause an issue. Especially since I know for a fact that I already rode 65 miles on the bike already with this issue based on the odometer. What's another 10 or so at low RPMs!

I stopped by two local shops I knew of along the way to the Kawasaki Dealer. I did not feel either were very knowledgeable since they talked in very general terms, offered no real suggestions to the issue, and the shops were a complete mess and disorganized. Maybe they are good places, but I didn't get a good feeling.

So I continued the last couple miles to the Kawasaki Dealer even though I know the labor cost will hurt. The service tech said exactly what was told to me on here so that made me feel they had at least a good starting point on fixing the issue compared to the other shops.

Ya'll were right on here. They will not get to the bike until Wednesday, but the tech said based on the description that the seal blew and all the oil and coolant mixed and caused so much pressure that the oil and coolant just blew through the weep hole. This forum rocks!

And as for as the jerk that sold me the bike. I am convinced he knew. I saw two small oil specs on his garage floor under the bike. He said those were because he just put fresh oil in the bike and dripped some under the bike. I bought that story. So he certainly knew this bike had issues and he needed to unload it on someone else.

I rather avoid the confrontation but once I get the bill from the shop later this week I will call him and complain. I will tell him he should split the bill with me or see me in court for the full amount. I will then file in small claim for the whole amount plus any fees and time out of work for this hassle (two days wages). I saved his Craig List ad too about this bike being perfect.

Worst part is, it's my word against his so I doubt I can win a case since my business degree and experience prior to being a pilot tells me this is a used purchase from a private party. The theory is buyer beware since he is not a dealer. The baseball bat approach may be more effective if I get real upset!

The good part is that I did enjoy the bike for the few hours I rode it (although it is no where near the power I hoped for, it's still an awesome trail bike and does okay around town too!).
1) When I get the bike bike it should run like a champ. I have them going through the whole bike to be sure it's running tip top with that FMF Pipe and Power Bomb header.
2) I will put a 13 on the front sprocket (rear to remain stock)
3) I bought a fold away mirror so I don't smash those stock ones.
4) I am also 6'2'' and 215lbs. and on my old moto bikes I used Jimmy Button Renthals. It's a tall bar with a 110 rise. I bought one of those to put on my bike so I can stand in a more aggressive position.
5) And lastly, I will also pick up a larger off road gas tank when I am convinced I find one I like. I'm hoping to get an extra gallon or slightly more. There is not much room on the bike for such a tank from what I seen. I will not remove the cooling fan for such a tank either since I ride in very hot Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas weather.

Thanks again. And I will write more later this week once I get a full diagnosis on the bike.

Quick Reply: HELP! 2009 KLX oil pouring out of case & smoking from case!