HELP! 2009 KLX oil pouring out of case & smoking from case!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default HELP! 2009 KLX oil pouring out of case & smoking from case!

Okay. I bought a 2009 KLX250S with 2,500 miles on it and FMF Power Bomb from a private owner today for $3,100.

I rode the bike 50 miles after getting the title switched over and a fresh plate on it. Yep. nice to have places on a Sunday that can do that!

After about 50 miles of road and light trails I stop for a bite to eat about 10 miles from home. I then was shocked. I noticed oil literally POURING out of the bottom of the bike and some white SMOKE coming from the crank area. The whole left side of the bike was covered in oil and a puddle already forming under the bike.

I am certain I just got sold a bumb bike. That is clearly why he was strict on only doing a short test drive around his street. I also noticed before I even rode the bike, there was some oil under the bike but nothing to be concerned about. He said he just changed the oil and those drips were from him changing the oil. Clearly he lied to sell the bike!

DETAILS:
1) Bike ran great at first. Bike turned off a couple times once it warmed up and I would pull the clutch in or stop. Once stopped, it would not start for a few minutes (I held up traffic once).

I played with the idle screw and think I got that resolved somewhere between 12-15 miles of riding. Idle is set about 1,000 RPM now but sometimes it idles higher, closer to 1800RPM. This is not a big concern though since I feel it will get worked out over time.

2) THE HUGE ISSUE. When I parked the bike to eat, I get off the bike and see the oil everywhere and oil just pouring out of the bottom of the bike like a faucet on real slow!!!!

There is a very small hole on the bottom right side of the bike. Maybe like 1mm in diameter. I will see if I can figure out how to attach a picture below.

Oil is literally dripping out of the hole at a fast pace. Lean bike left, oil drip stops. Lean bike right, oil pours out quickly. On kickstand, it drips out.

Am I missing a little plug of something? I don't see threads in the hole, so I don't know what is going on with that!

Also, when the bike is started, white smoke then billows from that hole with a slight oil spray flying out (which is all over my left pant leg!!!).

So I never got my dinner. I limped the bike home those last few miles upon discovering this before all the oil would be gone!!!

3) Also, not sure if this is related. The radiator fluid was about 1/2 full when I left on this ride. It is now totally empty but I see no radiator fluid leaked out anywhere. So I clearly also must have a leak in this system as well!!!

QUESTIONS:
1) What is this hole and why is oil pouring from it? Is this a major issue? What is the fix?.

2) The radiator fluid deal not sure about. I see no fluid leak in that system. But then everytime I check I get refocused on the oil pouring out of the bike! So no clue where this radiator fluid ended up. Oil leak is certainly first priority though. One thing at a time I suppose. Unless anyone has an idea about where the radiator fluid went since maybe it's linked to the issue?

3) If I refill the fluid levels, do you think I can limp this bike about 10 miles to the shop if I can not resolve here?

Thanks. I'm hoping to enjoy this bike since I did have a blast on my short ride, although a KTM roosted all over me and I didn't have the power to keep up to him in the open area. Definitely not a big bore machine, but perky for a street legal 250. I hope this makes a fun trail bike and good commuter. Now I just need the oil and smoke blow hole fixed along with the mysterious radiator fluid leak.

Last edited by TexasFlyer; 03-28-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Does not sound good, but pictures will be very helpful.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Sure sounds like coolant in the oil. That small hole from your description sounds like the weep hole for the water pump. Obviously no oil or coolant is supposed to come out of that hole under normal conditions. Now, I'm assuming you can tell the difference in coolant from oil. There's a seal in the water pump area that keeps the oil in the crankcase...or supposed to. This may be hard to diagnose over internet descriptions, but it sounds like coolant in the oil and/or oil in the coolant and being blown out.

Dude...don't drive that bike...for several potential reasons. That's not a lawn mower engine.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Here are two pics of the hole:

Old 03-28-2011, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

TNC is right, don't run the motor. Drain it asap. If the oil is milky then it has coolant in it.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

The oil looks fresh on the bike and on the ground around the bike.

The oil is still dripping out of that hole from my ride hours ago. I'd say about 1/4 QT of oil is now in dripped out in a few hours of sitting. Who knows how much blows out when the bike runs since it smokes from that hole and sprays a fine mist of oil.

The guy I bought it from just changed the oil he claims. Of course he did. It has to be fresh fluids all around when what ever fluid you put in the bike just blows out that hole!!!! I am not happy since I clearly was sold a bumb bike.

Anyway, no looking back. I'm the proud owner of this bike now and need to get her into tip top shape.

I am a mechanical idiot and this project is most likely above my scope of just changing oil and filters and putting an IMS tank on an XR once.

From what I hear.

1) This bike should no longer be ridden or started since this is causing major damage (it was possibly ridden 50 miles today with this issue!!!!)

2) I should take the bike to the Kawasaki dealer and pray this is not going to break the bank since I already spent $200 over my budget on the purchase of the bike to begin with!!!!

Are those two statement correct? Any other suggestions?

Thanks. I am so glad this forum is here. I been reading great posts on here!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:23 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

It's unfortunate that you had this issue with what is usually a very good, fun, and reliable bike. I'll say one thing you accomplished, however. Yours is the first one I've heard about that had oil spewing out the water pump weep oil. Coolant yes...oil, a bit different. Not a time to take solace in being unique, however. Even though it sounds dire, hopefully it won't be a major issue.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Have you checked the oil level? Maybe he drastically overfilled it, although I would think that would cause it to blow out the breather rather than drip.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I would see if you could find another bike mech besides a Kawi dealer. Try and find a local rideing group and ask several members privatly who they recomend.
It may be much less expensive.
I suspect at a minimum you would need to replace both the bearing, oil seal, coolant seal and waterpump gasket. To get to bearing and oil seal you need to remove the right engine cover. So it sounds like its more involved than you want to get into.

Let us know what the diagnoisis is. I have to wonder where the coolant went if its ony oil comeing out the hole. Maybe the smoke is actually steam?

Sorry you got a bum deal.
Cheers, jim

Its a

Old 03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
1st Gear Member

To start, the oil pump and water pump run on the same shaft drive. So it is possible to blow a seal between the two. Check your oil level first, it is possible coolant is getting into the engine oil can causing it to be overfilled. There is a sight glass on the right side by the foot peg. Stand the bike up straight and check the level, it should be between the two lines. The KLX250 only takes 1.5qts of oil to fill the crank. You may want to drain the coolant and remove the water pump to check for any oil seal leak.

This should help you:
Name:  SCAN0004-1.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  60.9 KB
Name:  SCAN0005-1.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  56.2 KB
Name:  SCAN0002-1.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  67.1 KB

Last edited by LearjetMinako; 03-28-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP! 2009 KLX oil pouring out of case & smoking from case!