Heated Handgrips

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Heated Handgrips

OK....now that i've had these things sitting on my toolbox at work for 2 weeks i gotta get them on....
#1 is out of the way as i got a wiring schematic from one of you fellas here the other week.
#2 i'm a mechanic for a living so i have no problem tearing into it.
#3 what the hell can i tap into for power to make a nice clean install????
Of course #3 is the major question here.everything on the schematic lists it's power requirements and i see nothing viable to use for a keyed "ON" power source.Not to mention i'm going to have to fab a mount bracket for the power switch for the grips themselves.Now i could do the "last resort" and wire it from the battery itself but i really didn't want to do that as i just don't like doing things that way.
My gloves are plenty warm for my 14 mile ride to work in 30 degree weather but i want the warmers for Loooong rides when it is colder.I did foam fill my pro-tapers to help eliminate some of the "heat sink" effect of the aluminum bars for when i did get around to installing the heaters.
Any and all input would be appreciated here guys.also....how many watts is the alternator output on the little klx???? the heaters are i think 10/35 watts and i also need to consider that.....thank you all.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Heated Handgrips

Hey Truckman, I just hooked them up to the keyed power and it was done. I also made a bracket for the ones I installed on my wife's bike and the other 225 in the garage. Here is a picture. What brand did you get? Did it come with a variable setting turn switch? Check this out and let me know if it looks the same. Also I have some of that same material left, its from an access panel to a computer desk. It had the perfect bend in it. Let me know what ya think.

Name:  100_5930.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  100_5928.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  91.7 KB

Old 12-26-2007, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Of course unless you have the after market bars without the cross bar, that bracket might not work.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Heated grips control and 12v accessory plug.

Name:  100_5932.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  82.8 KB

Old 12-26-2007, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

WOW ,Deej...you did go ***** out on that one...LOL....No i got a set of stick ons with a toggle switch and a resistor just like what i did for my atv....but the atv was easy because i had a power tap for it..none such on the KLX tho.....and the keyswitch and the pod are closed up enough that i think it'd be silly for me to break them open to tap a power lead......BUT...where did you get thos heated grips????? i have never seen that model before and i really do like the throttle side that you have.your install does look sweet but it is on the Yami and not the KLX.....LOL...oops did i find a Deej flaw?.....you do have them on your KLX right?......if you have 'em on yer klx'er please let me know as the key switch and pod on this thing makes me want to break out a sawzall.........

Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Below is a link to my hot grips installation thread. What I ended-up doing was pulling the headlight assy out of the way, then I pulled the+12V switched (brown wire) -with terminal end attached- from the ignition switch connector. I stripped about 1/2" of insulation,soldered the hot grip wire to that, heat shrinked thenre-inserted theterminal into the ignitionswitch connector. It's the cleanest way I could come-up with without having to cut the wire or slice into it with one of those y-type splices.

As far as the electrical consumption goes, you have about 70W of headroom with the KLX before adding the heated grips, so you should do just fine.I actually checked it out with an ammeter before installing my grips.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_87520/tm.htm

ORIGINAL: Truckman

OK....now that i've had these things sitting on my toolbox at work for 2 weeks i gotta get them on....
#1 is out of the way as i got a wiring schematic from one of you fellas here the other week.
#2 i'm a mechanic for a living so i have no problem tearing into it.
#3 what the hell can i tap into for power to make a nice clean install????
Of course #3 is the major question here.everything on the schematic lists it's power requirements and i see nothing viable to use for a keyed "ON" power source.Not to mention i'm going to have to fab a mount bracket for the power switch for the grips themselves.Now i could do the "last resort" and wire it from the battery itself but i really didn't want to do that as i just don't like doing things that way.
My gloves are plenty warm for my 14 mile ride to work in 30 degree weather but i want the warmers for Loooong rides when it is colder.I did foam fill my pro-tapers to help eliminate some of the "heat sink" effect of the aluminum bars for when i did get around to installing the heaters.
Any and all input would be appreciated here guys.also....how many watts is the alternator output on the little klx???? the heaters are i think 10/35 watts and i also need to consider that.....thank you all.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Tremor ,That seems to be the most sano way to do it i think.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Truckman

WOW ,Deej...you did go ***** out on that one...LOL....No i got a set of stick ons with a toggle switch and a resistor just like what i did for my atv....but the atv was easy because i had a power tap for it..none such on the KLX tho.....and the keyswitch and the pod are closed up enough that i think it'd be silly for me to break them open to tap a power lead......BUT...where did you get thos heated grips????? i have never seen that model before and i really do like the throttle side that you have.your install does look sweet but it is on the Yami and not the KLX.....LOL...oops did i find a Deej flaw?.....you do have them on your KLX right?......if you have 'em on yer klx'er please let me know as the key switch and pod on this thing makes me want to break out a sawzall.........
No I don't have them on the KLX, but I did install a 12v plug on the KLX so I could plug in the battery maintainer, charge a cell phone or run a GPS, plus I can use a jumper cable between the bikes and get one to start if the battery has run down. Tested it in the garage, and with the wife's bike battery run down, I plugged in the cable from my bike to hers and ran it for 3 minutes and it started the Yamaha right up.

The grips are from here http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3...;pid=174&p

Name:  100_5942.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  57.3 KB

There is a down side to the heated grips. The grips are a lot bigger, and for small hands that might not be a good thing.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I had HotGrips on my VStrom. I powered the grips straight off the battery, but ran the power to the grips through a relay activated by switched power, which I tapped into from the instrument lighting circuit. That way you get solid battery juice, without worrying about overloading any other wires, and the grips will always turn off when you shut off the bike, even if you forget to turn them off.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Well my install is done......here are a few hints for some others......
Special thanks to Tremor38 and DEEJ......Tremor for the technical and Deej for the go go getum that made me just do it....Thanks guys........I got some warm hands now......LOL.....rreally friggin warm now....LOL......holy crap....LOL...

Quick Reply: Heated Handgrips