Has anybody ever

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I use the bike as a commuter bike and ware work shoes. I will pay extra attention to the laces now!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't run any chain guards and it has never been am issue. But I have had both shoe laces on either side get fouled on the foot pegs and be unable to put my feet down. Made for a nice stop.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffzx9
Back in the 70's when I wore bellbottoms, probably more of a concern than it is now....
Peace, brother.
Hahaha I just pictured that...

Man the 70's were cool, I mean I was only 12 but I always wanted one of these, but now they call them "Chimo Vans" LOL

Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I've had my boot laces catch on the footpegs (sucks!), but never in the chain.

I do like the idea of duct-taping from ankle to knee though...

Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
I've had my boot laces catch on the footpegs (sucks!), but never in the chain.

I do like the idea of duct-taping from ankle to knee though...
Yes good point. My cousin told me of a guy on a big bike that his boot laces got caught on the foot peg and wouldn't let his toot touch the ground and over the bike went. I always double knot my laces when riding.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I've caught my pant leg on the peg when putting my foot down once at a stop light. Nearly tipped her over.
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 03-31-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:32 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The old pant leg or shoe lace in the chain deal varies a great deal depending on the bike. It also seems to be affected by the type of riding you're doing. I would never go on a serious dirt ride without some kind of way to tuck loose pants like jeans into the top of a boot or such...and no laces. I don't think it's a problem for casual riding, as your feet aren't moving all over the peg and you're not usually flailing around with your feet...like paddling through a puddle or rut. I've never had an issue under casual riding conditions with regular shoes and pants.

However, there was this one time that an aquaintance had a cherry water-cooled CR500 Honda motocrosser for sale. I had ridden a couple of open class 390 Husky's for enduro racing and had done fairly well. Hey, if I could handle a 390 Husky 2-stroke, why couldn't I handle a 500 2-stroke? I soon found out why this bike was in such cherry condition. I went out to his house out in the country to check out the bike. Of course I brought my helmet and gloves...but wearing jeans and tennis shoes. The jeans weren't bell bottom, but they were more loose, baggy fit.

The CR was in immaculate condition. He had a very reasonable price on the bike. After a difficult time starting this beast, I took off down a country dirt road with a large bar ditch. The bar ditch had some irregularities that I could use to test the suspension...but...I really didn't need to. I was barely able to keep this bike between the fence posts without any other issues to deal with. When the rear tire wasn't spinning completely out of control and actually managed to get a tiny bit of traction, it would then try to flip backward on me. There was no powerband on this bike. It was either idling at a nasty, raspy level, or it was trying to lay down 50-something horsepower...almost a lost cause. There was no flywheel effect. The bike was on or off. It was like lighting a Saturn 5 rocket. I was flailing around on this monster so wildly that one time my jeans leg got grabbed by the chain somehow...and that's even with the countershaft cover in place. Don't ask me how. It yanked my foot off the peg, and I nearly wrecked out. Needless to say I didn't buy this bike. I am/was a decent off roader, but this bike was way over my head. And from what I've heard ever since about this bike, it's over most people's head. Trying to ride it on a trail is suicide...without some serious work...and trying to ride it on an MX track takes some real talent and cojones. Anyway, that's my pant leg in the chain story, and I doubt I'll ever have the same problem with my KLX...LOL!

Last edited by TNC; 03-31-2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I had my shoe lace cought in the sprocket. Very scary situation because 1: you don't know if it will swallow your entire foot and 2: if it doesn't swallow it will you be able to put your foot on the grond when you stop !
Soo...I was scared enough to create this "shoe lace anti-swalowing device"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76638702@N06/7031933465

Last edited by ndery; 03-31-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: imge will not appear
Old 03-31-2012, 05:49 PM
1st Gear Member

nice work, I would take it off when venturing into mud

Old 04-02-2012, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ndery
I had my shoe lace cought in the sprocket. Very scary situation because 1: you don't know if it will swallow your entire foot and 2: if it doesn't swallow it will you be able to put your foot on the grond when you stop !
Soo...I was scared enough to create this "shoe lace anti-swalowing device"

Shoe lace saver | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Is that something you can buy or is that something you made? Great idea.

Quick Reply: Has anybody ever