Hard to start when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Hard to start when cold?

It seems that my stock KLX seems to have a hard time starting at night. Is this common?
-I have tried putting pulling the choke lever and starting as usual and wont start. Giving it some gas with the choke on and nothing. It takes a couple of starts for it to finally start.

Should i just install a Jet kit to richen up the mixture and make it start faster?

Old 05-15-2010, 02:33 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09klx
It seems that my stock KLX seems to have a hard time starting at night. Is this common?
-I have tried putting pulling the choke lever and starting as usual and wont start. Giving it some gas with the choke on and nothing. It takes a couple of starts for it to finally start.

Should i just install a Jet kit to richen up the mixture and make it start faster?
This problem has been covered many times on different sites. This model bike does frequently exhibit a cold starting problem when in stock condition and even many times when it has been rejetted. You can try various types of dancing-the-jig to improve this issue, but the real problem is that the starter jet is a tiny bit too small. Many get some relief by jetting more richly, but this may not be ideal in most cases. If your jetting either with a stock bike is working fine or your modified jetting to fit performance mods is working fine...but you still have a cold start aggravation...just drill the starter jet out from its OEM size of about .017" to about .020". This will make your bike fire up on the choke almost faster than you can get your button off the starter button...even if the rest of your jetting is just right or totally screwed up. That starter jet is what feeds the choke circuit, and in many cases it's just too small for the cold start fuel requirements of this bike in stock condition or even in some cases where the engine has some performance mods.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
...just drill the starter jet out from its OEM size of about .017" to about .020". This will make your bike fire up on the choke almost faster than you can get your button off the starter button.
How do i do that?

Old 05-15-2010, 07:24 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The starter jet is a pressed in brass jet right next to the main jet. It isn't replaceable that I've seen. You drill the brass jet to about .020" to get proper fuel flow for the choke. I have a drill index that I've had for years that has quite a few sizes contained in a little drill box, so I did it myself. The easiest thing would be to pull the carb and take it to a cycle shop that has a .020" drill index bit and let them open up the starter jet. Most decent shops have a drill index kit for carbs. With the carb off and the fuel bowl off, it takes just minutes to complete the process. The excess brass mostly comes out with the drill bit. The rest is flushed out with a can of carb/brake cleaner.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

To have 92 posts and still be on a stock bike baffles me. Do the re jet, kouba screw, and slip on and be done with it. That is untill you get to the 350 kit. Bout ready for that after today.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah like what he said. . . that and learn how to do a 'search' for all those rudimentary questions

Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Yeah like what he said. . . that and learn how to do a 'search' for all those rudimentary questions
Originally Posted by scallen
To have 92 posts and still be on a stock bike baffles me. Do the re jet, kouba screw, and slip on and be done with it. That is untill you get to the 350 kit. Bout ready for that after today.
OK OK. FINE! I will stop posting. JEEZ!

I didnt know that there was a limit on posting and have mods on my bike, but oh well i guess i didnt know the RULES!

Last edited by 09klx; 05-16-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Those two are trying to help you also, they just didn't reply as nicely, or as thoroughly as TNC. They could have taken the high road and worded their replies differently.
Scallen apparently loves the mods he has done to the bike and is suggesting you do the same.
Racegass is trying to tell you, most of the answers are on here somewhere. It will be quicker for you and easier for others if you try a search first. If you can't find it or are still confused put up a post saying "i searched but couldn't find ........,or I found ....... but I still don't understand.
FYI You don't need to have a modified KLX to participate on here, but you will need thicker skin. It bothers me when people say "fine I'm done posting" .........if your going to quit just quit.
TNC couldn't he just turn out the idle mixture screw more to get the same results as drilling? Or are we assuming it already turned out to the max. In that case, I thought you went up one on the slow(pilot) jet?
Dan

Last edited by dan888; 05-16-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I didnt know that there was a limit on posting and have mods on my bike, but oh well i guess i didnt know the RULES!
Spent the $49 and get a Dynojet kit (part #2206)>>>>>http://www.jcmotors.com/p-3416-dynoj...300-97-07.aspx

..... and a new air filter ($23 or so for a Moose filter.)>>>>>http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...300-Parts.aspx

Fit it up and have fun.

AND FIGHT ME!▼▼▼

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 05-17-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

You should definitely keep posting. Sometimes you've got to be able to just tune stuff out.

But it's true the cold starting issue would get you a lot of results if you were to search for it.

Quick Reply: Hard to start when cold?