hard to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: hard to start?

ORIGINAL: IG

this whole theory on gas going bad is false. Gas does not go bad in a week, two weeks, or even two months. The problem with the KLX is there is a flaw somewhere and kawi knows this but has no fix. The carb is faulty as fas as being able to supply gas after a long inactive period. I've been thru the procedure with my KLX and it is frustrating as hell. But let's not blame it on the gas, I've had gas sit in my Harley for the whole winter, go out in the spring, pull the choke out and after a few cranks that American iron fires right up. It's a KLX thing and having to let the bike idle down to run the gas out just to get it to start in a week is totally unacceptable in my book. For me, installing the BigGun pipe, rejetting, and the like just made it worse too.
Oh, tremor- you need to find something else to bash as the newer HD engines are as sealed up as a snare drum and do not leak oil. Dating back to '99 on the big twins and the mid '80's to current Evo has never had oil leakage problems. It's the real older ones that had oil leak issues but they would at least start when asked. I realize you aren't too intelligent when it comes to Harleys but let's not share your inexperience and total biaswith the forum, K?
It may be unacceptable IG but its the fact. Time tested, consumer approved. If it works why complain about it anymore? Oh and its not just a KLX thing, both of the XT 225's in my garage do the same thing. How about not getting so defensive when something doesn't quite agree with what you have thought to be truth. Hmmmm? How about that? Lets not turn this into a Harley debate.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Well if its a KLX thing and it bothers you so much here's an idea,....go buy a bike that will live up to your standards and let the rest of us enjoy our bikes. It's apparent that you are the same IG we all have come to love so much. As far as me trying to smooth things over, don't take my meek demeanor as a weakness. That's a false impression of me. If you continue to cause trouble your IP will be banned for good this time. Is that assertive enough for ya?

Old 11-16-2007, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and one final comment, if all of us on here want to bash Harley's and you don't like it too bad. I personally don't have anything against Harley's, in fact I would love to own one, but if you are that sensitive about it then perhaps the Harley forum is a place you should hang out more. Quit taking everything so seriously and providing worse than negative comments.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej
That's some sort of urban legend or something.
havn't you heard..............I am an urban legend......or somthing

is anyone up for an all KLX250s 24 hr endurance race team, there will be no preasure to win only to not be last!
I had alot of fun at the last race I was at.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

That would be a great signature. I am Wedge......the Urban Legend. That's awesome man.[8D] Do it, do it, do it

Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

The gas does indeed go bad. My guess is that it has something to do with the particular components in the carburetor reacting to the additives in the gas. Not only does my KLX have this problem but my XL600 has the same problem. Now before anyone goes off half cocked on this, it's a known fact that on the older bigger bore Honda's, if you didn't have just the right starting proceedure you could kick for days and not get them started. Well once I got mine figured out, I noticed that after setting for a couple of days it took longer to start. Then once it sat for a little over a week and it took about 35 kicks to get going. So the next time that this situation arose I just drained the bowl and 2 kicks and it was running.
It's pretty easy for IG to get on here and blame Kawasaki. He has nothing to back up his ridiculas claims.
So just drain the bowl after it sets and be happy!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Or run the gas out which is even easier.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:11 PM

i tried holding my hand over the pipe and it didn't work. i actually roll started it and it came alive for a couple seconds but i had stuff to do so i put it back in the garage, but when i get the tires on i'll get it going again. and would gas really go bad after less than a month?
i don't want to mess with draining the carb.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Then just turn the petcock off & wait for it to quit. As mentioned plan a few blocks ahead on your way home.

I am sure the actual volume of gas in the carb is a big a part as any. Carbs with a small volume have more problems than carbs that keep a larger volume of fuel in the bowls. This is dictated not only by carb size but the design of the carb with floats, where the jets pickup fuel etc.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:35 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

It's pretty easy for IG to get on here and blame Kawasaki. He has nothing to back up his ridiculas claims.
I would like to see proof that gasoline does not go bad!

edit: That was a hint IG for you to back up your statement.

Quick Reply: hard to start?