hard to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: hard to start?

A shot of Starter Fluid works everytime for me.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Anybody use fuel stabilzer,If so has this helped? I shut down the fuel a half mile beore the house & ran out just rolling into the driveway.

I didn't like the 10 minutes it took to start after letting her sit a week without use.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

A shot of Starter Fluid works everytime for me.
Starting fluid is the worst thing for any engine. Not only can you get a backfire and or real fire, but it can wash through the rings and can at the very least thin out the motor oil, worst case scenario there have been cases of internal (inside, below the piston) combustion. Or at least so I've always been told. In a diesel motor its really not recommended either. Question FM, where do you spray starting fluid on the bike? Are you having to take off the seat? If so then I can guarantee that the other way is less trouble.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:55 PM
IG

this whole theory on gas going bad is false. Gas does not go bad in a week, two weeks, or even two months. The problem with the KLX is there is a flaw somewhere and kawi knows this but has no fix. The carb is faulty as fas as being able to supply gas after a long inactive period. I've been thru the procedure with my KLX and it is frustrating as hell. But let's not blame it on the gas, I've had gas sit in my Harley for the whole winter, go out in the spring, pull the choke out and after a few cranks that American iron fires right up. It's a KLX thing and having to let the bike idle down to run the gas out just to get it to start in a week is totally unacceptable in my book. For me, installing the BigGun pipe, rejetting, and the like just made it worse too.
Oh, tremor- you need to find something else to bash as the newer HD engines are as sealed up as a snare drum and do not leak oil. Dating back to '99 on the big twins and the mid '80's to current Evo has never had oil leakage problems. It's the real older ones that had oil leak issues but they would at least start when asked. I realize you aren't too intelligent when it comes to Harleys but let's not share your inexperience and total biaswith the forum, K?

Old 11-16-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Never? Ha. My fathers 94 Evo leaks.

...and we are derailed.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:45 PM

kawiridr04 - Mine does that too. I go long times in between riding my KLX - so much so that I'll do a monthly start up and ride around the cul-de-sac a bit to keep it from wasting away. No flaming now - I have 3 other bikes I ride. I have some usual mods, ie: Big Gun - rejet - snork removed. The easiest thing to do is pull the seat off, and cover the hole up on the air box with your hand or something that will seal the air. Pull choke and go thru your normal start up routine. This last time I started mine - it had been sitting for a good 6 months without being touched - GAS ON. After replacing a dead cell'd battery - I had to cover up with the airbox hole with a thick piece of plastic before it would start - I couldnt seal it enough otherwise. It did smoke a bit while warming up. Changed the oil and went for a 100 mile ride with no problems.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

LOL he sounds just like someone we know
two IG's now[>:]this forum aint big enough..lol
ORIGINAL: IG

this whole theory on gas going bad is false. Gas does not go bad in a week, two weeks, or even two months. The problem with the KLX is there is a flaw somewhere and kawi knows this but has no fix. The carb is faulty as fas as being able to supply gas after a long inactive period. I've been thru the procedure with my KLX and it is frustrating as hell. But let's not blame it on the gas, I've had gas sit in my Harley for the whole winter, go out in the spring, pull the choke out and after a few cranks that American iron fires right up. It's a KLX thing and having to let the bike idle down to run the gas out just to get it to start in a week is totally unacceptable in my book. For me, installing the BigGun pipe, rejetting, and the like just made it worse too.
Oh, tremor- you need to find something else to bash as the newer HD engines are as sealed up as a snare drum and do not leak oil. Dating back to '99 on the big twins and the mid '80's to current Evo has never had oil leakage problems. It's the real older ones that had oil leak issues but they would at least start when asked. I realize you aren't too intelligent when it comes to Harleys but let's not share your inexperience and total biaswith the forum, K?

Old 11-16-2007, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Wait a minute!! So you're telling me that its easier to pull the seat everytime rather than run the thing out of gas?[sm=jawdrop.gif] Ok to each his own, but you gotta at least try the other way just once.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 PM
IG

Either way is unacceptable and you guys need to let kawi know it.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and holding your hand over the exhaust, does nothing. That's some sort of urban legend or something.

Quick Reply: hard to start?