Got my bike back yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Got my bike back yesterday

, Glad to hear that you are able to hit the road again. 43 degrees, wow, wish it was that cold here in Oklahoma. Been about 60-65 mornings and 75-85 afternoons. But it beats 85 degree mornings and 99 degree afternoons since summer is finally passing by and the north wind is coming.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Will Shoe

Once you can ride in snow, anywhere you can go.
Once you can ride in HAWAIIAN snow, anywhere you can go!

Old 09-14-2007, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you got it back before the end of riding season.

"He said that when they got the new head and valves and they put the new intake valves in the head when they were all the way seated in the head the piston still came up and hit them....."

Youdid say earlier that it was a brand new head, right?That just sounds wierd that they had to machine it to get clear of the piston. These heads have hardened seats, so hopefully he didn't remove too much of them. As long as he didn't do some fancy cut, you should be alright though. I'llask my dealer if hehas had anyinstances of this.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yep, brand new head and valves.... they didnt tell me exactly what they did, but i thaught where the valve sealed against the head was just aluminium, thats why they had to "lap" them in.....

Old 09-14-2007, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Lapping valves is just dealing with 1000th's of an inch. Not enough to cause contact. Valves should always be lapped in to make a perfect seal. It sounds like they needed to remove a lot more material then a standard lapping. There's something weird going on with your bike man. If it fails again, DEMAND a complete, New Engine. At this point, you don't know what you got. Maybe the goober at the other stealer shaved down your engine block for some reason. This would "raise" the piston up slightly. I hope it keeps on running great for you and I believe I read that you took the 4 year warranty. By the way, If you are still running the original piston and rings, than the break in is pretty much done. Not much break in for the top end. Great job on being the most patient person on the planet.

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

yep, brand new head and valves.... they didnt tell me exactly what they did, but i thaught where the valve sealed against the head was just aluminium, thats why they had to "lap" them in.....

Old 09-14-2007, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats Eric!!!!

BTW it's still in the high 80s down here in S. FL and will be for most of the fall. You should try to come down to the Ocala National Forest this winter, we ride a lot rougher and faster than we did at that klr tour in Tallahasse. I KNOW you'd luv it.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Id love to come down and ride down in FL over the winter..... I like the fast rough stuff... we did alot of fast riding in Jersey....

Old 09-15-2007, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

Lapping valves is just dealing with 1000th's of an inch. Not enough to cause contact. Valves should always be lapped in to make a perfect seal. It sounds like they needed to remove a lot more material then a standard lapping. There's something weird going on with your bike man. If it fails again, DEMAND a complete, New Engine. At this point, you don't know what you got. Maybe the goober at the other stealer shaved down your engine block for some reason. This would "raise" the piston up slightly. I hope it keeps on running great for you and I believe I read that you took the 4 year warranty. By the way, If you are still running the original piston and rings, than the break in is pretty much done. Not much break in for the top end. Great job on being the most patient person on the planet.
+1. It's almost like the connecting rod is too long, which makes no sense unless they goofed and shipped a few wong PNsto the factory.I wonder what his compression ratio is right now.

My father showed me how to lap valves on steel heads back in the late sixties so I don't think the seat material has anything to do with it.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear you have your bike back Eric, best of luck with it

[8D]

Old 09-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Man after riding yesterday, i think its running bettter than ever.... feels like i finally got the jetting right, and it rips.... now i can finally have fun on it.