Good Times Protection Plan ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Good Times Protection Plan ?

I'm up in the air on a leftover 07 or the early release 09 KLX250S. I already used the search function of the boards & came up empty handed so here I am asking:

For those who have them, Kawasaki Good Times Protection Plan, What level of coverage did you get,how much did you pay, would you do it again or not& why?
For those that wish they did, your horor story?

Is the prices for the coverage negotable? I want the 4 years, what would be the best price I can expect to pay?

These are the non covered areas:

Correct me if im wrong but there are so many loopholes here, you could drive a bus through:
[align=left]1. Failures which are not due to a defect in material or factory workmanship.[/align][align=left]2. Rental product and product engaged in racing or competition.[/align][align=left]3. Repair or replacement required as a result of (i) accident or collision (ii) misuse, abuse or neglect (iii) lack of reasonable and proper maintenance (iv) repairs improperly performed[/align][align=left]or replacement parts improperly installed (v) use of replacement parts or accessories not conforming to Kawasaki specifi cations which adversely effect performance and/or[/align][align=left]durability; (vi) alterations or modifi cations not recommended or approved in writing by Kawasaki (vii) wear and deterioration (including loss of engine compression) occasioned by[/align][align=left]the use of the product.[/align][align=left]4. Regular maintenance service, adjustments or replacement of expendable maintenance items as outlined in the Owner’s Manual, but not limited to: fi lters, spark plugs, brake[/align][align=left]shoes/pads, impellers and intake grilles, mats and bumpers.[/align][align=left]5. Damage resulting from use of non recommended lubricant and coolant or the lack thereof.[/align][align=left]6. Belts, tires, cables, chains, sprockets, batteries, bulbs, audio equipment, accessories, cosmetic appearance, gel coat stress cracks, watercrafts hulls and handlepoles.[/align][align=left]7. Damage as a result of sand, water, rust and/or rocks.[/align][align=left]8. Damage as a result of excess load including occupants and/or cargo; tow loads in excess of maximum weights as specifi ed in the Owner’s Manual[/align][align=left]9. Deterioration from the elements[/align][align=left][/align]

Old 10-16-2007, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Good Times Protection Plan ?

I'm a big fan of extended warranties as the one for my truck saved me thousands of dollars. I did buy the extra 4 yrs and paid roughly $400 for it. I got it because I figured I would ride mostly road, would be putting alot of miles on the bike, the bike had enough power for me, and I don't know shiite about motorcycle maintenance. Now I'm riding more off ride, want more power, and wish I would have saved the money and put it towards the 300cc kit. Live and learn.

Another consideration that I didn't figure on is the relationship with your dealer. They inerpret the warranty as they see fit, and if you do alot of business with them they will often times take care of you. If you buy from one dealer, and get it serviced at another, who knows what you'll get. Figure out how much the dealer wants for the warranty, then take that money and stick it in a savings account.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

definitely use an aftermarket company for a warranty.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I never get extended warranty..... beat the crap out of said toy so that anything that can break does...... before the factory warranty runs out. Extended warranty is just an insurance policy......our bike is only worth 3K used.........nope not worth it.....unless ya can't turn a wrench.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I would prefer getting the bike, warrenty& servive all from the same dealer. When I had a dealer give me a price almost 1 k over retail, I told them I will stop back (Yea right!)another dealer said he didn't have any but "could get me one" then he told me they won't be carrying Kawasaki anymore! This guy gave off a vibe like he was doing me a favor.
Another dealer I spoke with asked what I was looking for & when I was considering buying. I told him& also mentioned that I was considering a purchase out of state because of a aprox $800 difference. He said when Im ready to buy,to talk to him & give them the opportunity to make the sale.

The last one sounds like the kind of shop I want to deal with.. I know they have their own dyno for testing (Great for checking the mods). I want to see their shop work area too but overall I got a good vibe from them.

I would think if it's a one stop shop that they would take care of any "warrenty" issue

Are there any companies that offer extended warrenties that are better?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I would get it, I see Finger Mullets point, but i spent 300$ on 2 addidional years and have had services that would have been well over 2 or 3 grand, hell a new head is more than 300$ so to me its worth it, i can turn wrenches with the best of them, but ya gotta look at it from the saving a ton of money perspective.... its cheap and has saved me ALOT of money, now i know mines a special case. And um... dont get anything but factory Kawi warranty... My dad is a insurance adjuster for aftermarket warranty companys..... go with kawi. He went on an inspection yesterday for a blown motor in a neon, washer fluid was gettin pumped into the intake manifold and blew it up..... lol...long story.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I opted for the additional 2 yrs on top of the factory 1 year. I'm covered until April 2009 and as such will probably hold off on the big bore kit until then, just in case. I thought it expired next year but I looked at my purchase agreement and it said until 2009. Thus far its not been worked on by anyone but me, and that was for regular maint. only. Currently at 7000 miles.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I can in general do my own matainance but the ideal of me having to break down the motor or split cases is out! I can always hit my brother up on that( he's done everything from 4cyl KZ top ends to timing chains on BMW V8's) I prefer the comfort that the parts & labor would be covered & as far as my brother goes, I don't expect that he becomes my personal mechanic.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

get the kawi warranty, itscheap insurance.....

Old 10-16-2007, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Eric,
It seems that it was well worth it for your case.How were the dealers who worked on the bike?
I think I read that you had to bring it to more than 1 deaker to resolve the issue!

Oh , That Neon thing, were they trying the homemade nitros/water injection thing? I read about that in a car mag once where they rented a neon for the weekend, moded it & raced the snot out of it before bringing it back.

Quick Reply: Good Times Protection Plan ?