Going to buy new bike this week end

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:40 AM
Default Going to buy new bike this week end

Hello to everyone,
First of all I want to say I have read many of your post before registering.
You guys have opened my eyes to many things about the KLX250.
I have a couple of questions about the bike though.

1. I plan on using the bike to ride at least four times a week to work,,I work about 44 miles away from my home one way.
Do you guys think this woud be ok on the motor ? By the way my weight is 208 llbs.

2. I have read many post where you guys talk about top speed ,
On a stock motor what would my cruising speed be?
My drive to work is mostly high-way.

If all goes well I will pick up my new bike this week end .

I hope some ones out there can help me out.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Going to buy new bike this week end

Welcome, I think if I was going to do that much high-way riding I would be looking at a bigger bike. Not say the KLX wouldn't do it, but for that many miles I would get a bigger bike. The bike cruises at about 55- 60 mph. It is capable of 75-80 mph but dose not like those speeds for long periods of time. I am not knocking this bike, It is a great bike for its purpose. I would look at the DRZ400 or KLX650, XR650 before I made a decision. Those bikes are much more at home on the high-way than the KLX250. Good Luck! Lets us know what you decide.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 07-31-2006, 01:46 AM

been doing it for a couple of months now, takes me about a half hour to get to work and I cruise at about 70. But, this is at five in the morning, and traffic is pretty light.

going home is another story. will get up to seventy when i start getting close to home, but for at least the first half I will be lucky to do 35 with the crappy traffic around here.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member

in stock form ull be hurtin to stay at 70mph+ bike has no ***** in 6th gear stock. i dont think itd be a good choice for highway riding.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:04 AM

When you say Hwy - do you mean, "state hwy" or an Interstate? Most state hwys have speed limits of 45-55mph. Guess you could manage to ride the KLX that far and keep those speeds and it not be an issue. If you're talking about having to ride the Interstate - forget it. Buy a bigger bike, and my suggestion would be a KTM or better yet a Husky if you're heart is set on owning a dual purpose and you can afford one. They're both a wee bit more than a Kawasaki.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:07 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well I have to chime in and say that since I did the exhaust, jetting and gear changes, 6th gear is totally usable gear now. In fact I have had considerable speed increases while in 6th and traveling up pretty steep grades. And for a fat guy like me that not bad. I would be totally at ease doing 20 or 30 miles every day on the open road. At 44 miles the only problem I can see is your butt might start getting sore by the time you get there. let's hope you don't have a desk job where sitting would not be pleasant.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dbdanny

Hello to everyone,
First of all I want to say I have read many of your post before registering.
You guys have opened my eyes to many things about the KLX250.
I have a couple of questions about the bike though.

1. I plan on using the bike to ride at least four times a week to work,,I work about 44 miles away from my home one way.
Do you guys think this woud be ok on the motor ? By the way my weight is 208 llbs.

2. I have read many post where you guys talk about top speed ,
On a stock motor what would my cruising speed be?
My drive to work is mostly high-way.

If all goes well I will pick up my new bike this week end .

I hope some ones out there can help me out.

Hi Danny and welcome
do you intend to ride dirt at all? you only asked about riding to work, if thats all you want it for I'd suggest a road bike or like onestar said a bigger d/p bike, while the KLX would do what you want it wouldn't be as comfortable as a bigger bike perhaps a KLR650.
cheers
Garry

Old 07-31-2006, 04:34 PM

Thanks for all your responses,

I am starting to think about this really hard now.
The main reason I picked this bike is becouse Of its aggressive looks .
I currently trail ride with a 1998 KX250 that has been some what modded.
I am by no means a profesional rider,, but do love to ride.
I have tried cruising to work in my pick up ar around 60 mph and it doesn't seem that bad as far as time being an issue.
I have always wanted a Dual Purpose bike and this is around what I can afford.
My main concern is not confort ,,my concern is if the bike can handle it.
This of course will not be my only means of transportation.
I will do some off rode riding , but I am so close to Mexico that there you can ride your mxer on the street and no one cares.
Can any one tell me what has been the longest trip they have taken on this bike.

Once again tank you for all your opinions.

Hope it works out.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Well to toss in my .02.

First of all.., the bike is very weak power wise in stock trim. Its a small displacement engine that has been seriously hindered by emmisions equipment. If you buy the bike, for anyone, my first suggestion would be to seriously consider a few basic mods as necesity. That being, the bike /needs/ a replacement full exhaust ( in the range of 3-600 bucks depending what brand ) and it /needs/ rejeting, even if the rest of the bike is left in stock trim, rejeting will help the bikes power and running condition considerably ( in the range of 5 - 60 bucks depending wether you go with a single jet or all the way up to a jet kit with varied jets, etc ) and it stands to benifit from airbox and airfilter mods.

If you do the entire package, the bike runs /considerably/ stronger, and much smoother then in factory trim as its no longer serverely restricted.

In stock trim the power output for me is to weak offroad or onroad, but it is manageable, however geting into 55+ mph speeds it becomes painfull to manage as it simply does'nt have the power to deal with changing speeds in traffic or any hills. If you do the mods listed above, it does'nt seem to have any issues with hovering in the 75-80 mph range.

My current mods consist of jeting the carb ( 125 main / 40 pilot / drilled slide / needle at 1st clip /, a UNI air filter, the air injection system removed and though I have a Muzzy exhaust system ordered, it has been back-ordered for more then a month, so I am still running the stock exhaust, but I drilled a 1/2" hole in the first restricter plate. Not including the exhaust system on order, everything I have done so far has cost me less then 50 bucks and has helped considerably over the stock power and at the very least, I would do these small things.

I have a pack of enduro buddies I ride with and most of the places we go are 45 minutes to 2 hours out, which is spent freeway and highway riding. Without the exhaust system replaced, the bike struggles beyond the 70-75 range, but provided nothing has slowed me now, I've ran sustained at an indicated 80-mph for more then an hour without being bothered that much, it simply does'nt have the power to quickly recover from any slow downs or real hills should I encounter anything. However.., staying in the 60-65 mph range is comfortable enough. The bikes rake and trail however, being intended for the dirt, can make it a bit skittish at those kinds of speeds so do so with caution, and also easily exagerated depending what kinds of tires you choose to run. The more aggresive towards dirt riding of course, the more skiitish its likely to be depending the amount and layout of the contact patch, the depth of the ***** as they can induce flex in the ***** at contact points while in corners that can give it a squishy or unstable sensation, etc.

In reality however.., the bikes build and design shines most in the dirt. Choose carefully where your priorities are. If you can live with some sacrifice of comfort and practicality for the highway for something that can be modded into a great offroad bike, something smaller and lighter then most enduros that will be good for technical trail riding or exploration, the KLX will be great for you. If in reality you will be happier with something more street/highway oriented, then look at some of the other bikes and suggestions other forum members have made. Heavily consider your realistic needs, and heavily consider where your heart truely resides so you don't end up with disappointment in the bike you choose.

All that said, goodluck. I hope I was able to offer something.