Sticker removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Sticker removal?

Anyone know a good way to get the factory 'warning' stickers off?
Ya know, those tacky silver ones plastered all over the rear fender and swingarm?
I'd like to remove those before putting other ones on. I always have bad luck with this and end up leaving all kinds of goop behind. And I don't want to hurt the plastics either.

MEK? Methyl Ethyl Keytone? I saw a guy use that once (on his Camaro bumper ), but it's nasty stuff I think.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Sticker removal?

I found the best way is to just pull them off easy and slow and take WD-40 on a soft cloth and wipe any glue that might be left behind. I think my Can-Am 4x4 had 13 stickers on it nad it worked great for that. And I just took the one off the back fender on the KLX ..... The WD-40 removes the glue but will not hurt the plastics. Hope this helps

Old 07-30-2006, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I once used WD-40 to remove a sticker and it did removed it, but it also dull the finish of the plastic. I don't know if this was an bad experience for me or it will remove the finish every time....So be careful... The bike was YZ 125 back when they were white and red.. Dating myself here...LOL

Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 PM

hey buddy I work @ a true value hardware store and there is stuff called xyol (sound it out like zi long i lol it is a adheasive remover and is made by sunny side or any other like paint thinner company it will not hurt anytyhing and it great u barely get a corner of it up and then slowly peel it back and then remove the rest of the adheasive with that stuff works great that is how I did it toall of my stickers it makes the bike look tacky

-Sean

Old 07-31-2006, 12:26 AM

I found that this works for getting the sticky stuff off by accident years ago...

Car wax. Liquid or paste, doesn't matter.

Rub it on, let it dry, wipe it off.

You may have to do it twice if there is alot of it. But it will get it off. Works on plastic too.

Give it a shot.

Old 07-31-2006, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

do what i did... bought the bike... made faces atthe stickers and put alot of mileage on it off road puddles, mud, gravel etc and the stickers fell off after 3 weeks [8D]

Old 07-31-2006, 02:17 AM

Xylol sounds like the trick. I've used a hair dryer on metal and fiberglass, heat and slooowly peel. Worked fine, don't know about plastic, should be fine since the plastic is designed for hot conditions.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:45 AM

Best stuff to use is called "Goo Gone" You can get it at Home Depot or Lowe's. Works great. will not harm other surfaces and wipes off clean.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:27 AM
1st Gear Member

washing my bike with a pressure washer got rid of the swingarm sticker for me

Old 07-31-2006, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Others have mentioned some good ideas but you might also take a hair blow dryer to them. Once heated up and the glue is softened they should come off pretty easy and then you can remove any remaining glue using wd-40 or glue gone. Removed the relectors off of my harley using that method. Good luck.....

LV

Quick Reply: Sticker removal?