Get the extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Get the extended warranty?

Do a search for posts by me, bike at the shop. Well the ACR went bad, just like deej's bike, and i had another big issue where the dealer had to completely rip my entire motor apart and replace a gear, spring and c clip.... my bike was at the dealer getting warranty work for a total of 6 weeks last summer.... My bike has 5400 miles on it, i can only imagine if i would have had it for those 6 weeks..... [:@]

Old 01-30-2007, 02:15 PM

Wow, has anyone else been having these kinds of problems?? What is the ACR, its the morning time and my brain is still asleep.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I think deej and i are the only ones that have had problems with the ACR, Automatic Compression Release... its a mechanism on the exhaust camshaft,,, the bike makes an awful loud ticking noise.... i think deej and i even had about the same mileage.... around 4000 to 4500 miles i think they both went out....

Old 01-30-2007, 03:30 PM

I wouldn't waste my money on it if you have done the mods, It perty much voids most engine problems..... least that is what my dealer told me. Since I have swapped out with the Vapor and done all the mods it isn't a good deal for me but in the end I guess it's what you think is important to you. I got my renewal notification about two weeks ago and I have untill tomorrow to do it, but I think I'll just spend my money on a set of riding boots and pants.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Well when i picked up my bike from the dealer when they tore the motor apart, the salesman, and the mechanic suggested for me to get the warranty. I have done alot, rejetted and such, but when i took it there i put the stock exhaust on.... so it really doesnt look like i have done alot... and i asked the mechanic about voiding the warranty, and he said he knows what will cause stuff to fail... he seems pretty reasonable, like he knows that rejetting the carb will not cause an engine failure....

Old 01-31-2007, 04:47 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

The last thing I told the dealer and the parts guy and the mechanic was that if I had to get a new "ACR" every year for the next 4 years, then that was what I was going to do, and they all looked at me and smiled in that--sounds like a plan look. So I have confidence that at least the shop I have will honor my work, no questions asked. In fact when I got the warranty work done the first time I didn't even have to sign anything, they took care of everything.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

My bill would've been about $2600 if I wasn't under warranty. Hmmm, how much is that extension and where is my application. I'm coming up on one year next week.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

O yea yours is the one that the timing gear fell off.. i forgot about that.... Yea ill be gettin it too. my bill would have been like 1000 bucks.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:44 PM

What?? What happened to the bike? $2,600 worth of repair. Ouch, I was hoping that our bikes would last longer then a year for it to get bad enought to have $2,600 worth of repair. Now that I wrecked my bike and it shows visually, like the plastics and the shattered speedo, can they use that as an excuse as why they will not cover any future problems. Lets say that something happens down the road and it has nothing to do with the accident, will they say " Well, looks like you have had an accidident on this thing, and due to the impact of the accident we cannot cover it as it is not our fault."?

Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Kawasaki blamed it on assembly from the factory. The two bolts which hold the intake cam gear worked loose, causing the intake cam to put pressure on the bearings. I was developing a ticking noise which became worse. Eventually the cam gear came off along with the timing chain dropping to the bottom of the engine. Kawi rebuilt the motor from the crank up and it's been fine since.

It seems to be an isolated issue. I'm glad it was under warranty.

Quick Reply: Get the extended warranty?