Gen 1 VS Gen 2 differences??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Gen 1 VS Gen 2 differences??

Can sombody post a list or link of the differences between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 KLX? I see the Gen 2 has a new electronic guage which is nice. And panels are different shapes. Any other differences?

Also I noticed the Gen 1 has another inch of travel. Does this make it a better off road machine?

Old 02-25-2012, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I think gen2 look better. The inch of travel is debatable, the suspension is low budget on both generations. But for its intended purpose works quite well. I know the search function kinda sucks but give it a try you could be up for days soaking in all the good info on this site. There are also some really knowledgeable and truly nice people on here.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's one that comes to mind.
The gearboxes are different. Gen 1 6th gear is taller. Some describe Gen 2 6th gear as "fifth and a half." Not significant for many riders.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Front brakes much be different - couldn't get pads in Thailand which sells what you are calling the gen 2 and i have what you are calling the gen 1 (for the most part).

On that note, found a perfect match for front brake pads with the Honda XR250L.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Gen 2 wheels are stronger, but much heavier (thicker gauge spokes etc), Gen 1 has a better front disc (floating) Gen 2 has a solid unit. Gen 1 has an idle screw that has a remote for on the move adjustment, Gen 2 just has a screw. Gen 1 has fork bleeder screws, Gen 2 doesn't. Gen 1 gets a rack, Gen 2 doesn't. Gen 1 had 'snail-cam' adjusters for the chain, Gen 2 has nut/bolt adjusters. Different swingarms on both bikes.

KLX250S (gen 1) is a softened version of KLX250R.
KLX250S (gen 2) is a softened version of KLX250S (gen1)

Old 02-25-2012, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an '07, ("gen 1") and I love it, and if I had to choose again, I would still choose the "Gen 1" with the looks and the extra suspension travel being the deciding factors for me.

That being said, I think the differences between the two are more cosmetic than anything else. Yes, there are some minor mechanical differences as mentioned above, but I think you would be happy with either version.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

"Gen 2" has a bigger rear disk brake with Wave rotors at both ends.
I prefer the lower seat height (-1" of wheel travel) of the "Gen 2", better handling all around.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
"Gen 2" has a bigger rear disk brake with Wave rotors at both ends.
I prefer the lower seat height (-1" of wheel travel) of the "Gen 2", better handling all around.
"all around"? I could see how a lower bike would have better handling on the road and on smooth unpaved roads. Although I would take "all around" to include all types of riding, include off-roading, but I'm not sure less suspension travel (along with reduced ground clearance) leads to better handling in rough terrain (rock gardens, roots, ruts, tree crossings, boulders, etc.) I'm not saying a gen 2 can't handle this stuff just fine, but is it really better handling "all around" because it has less travel? Or is it better on the smooth stuff because it has less travel?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys. Im leaning towards the Gen 1. I think i prefer the look of the older one. I already have a street bike so this will be used 80% off road, could probably use the extra inch travel. The Gen 2 did look low to me. And most of all I can probably get a Gen 1 cheaper and spend the savings to get some power. The higher 6th gear sounds like a bonus for on the highway too.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmurray70
Can sombody post a list or link of the differences between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 KLX? I see the Gen 2 has a new electronic guage which is nice. And panels are different shapes. Any other differences?

Also I noticed the Gen 1 has another inch of travel. Does this make it a better off road machine?
Here is the introduction to the 2009 KLX250S which explains the differences between "Gen 1 & Gen 2".

2009 KLX

Quick Reply: Gen 1 VS Gen 2 differences??