Gear recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Gear recommendations

I need to get everything for the new bike.

Since I will, for now, be mostly commuting that is the type of gear I will need.

For Helmet I will just try them on but a full face < 150.00

Top: I want to layer but start with an outer protective shell. That way I can wear this and just add or subtract layers as needed. I would prefer cordura or the like.

Bottoms: suggestions? Jeans?

Boots: Walkable, but protective through the ankle. I have read some ATV gear is good for this?

Gloves: I have been thinking about just using my Mechanix brand mechanic gloves. Great fit, Codura with rubber protection on the top? Cool weather would demand more.

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Im getting fox shorty boots for my KLR650 riding.
Fox Racing Comp 5 Shorty Boots - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

check ebay for helmets, i got a HJC 180$ helmet for 40$

I have different gear for Dirt riding, full MX boots, ballistic jersery, oneal helmet, smith goggles, moose pants and jacket.
Name:  ems2.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  70.0 KB

Old 03-21-2012, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Get something better than jeans if you can. Some textile riding pants with padding/protection in the knees and hips. Check Craigs List if you're on a budget - there's some good used gear to be had on the cheap. I got some good deals from Cycle Gear on pants and gloves.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

just try on a bunch of things and go with what fits and feels best with you....i regret getting an icon helmet....the quality isn't very good....6 months and about 7,000 miles of use and it is showing significant signs of wear...i'm also not too happy with o'neal mx gear....

happy with my speed and strength gear...zip-out triple layers and sleeves...built-in hydration...c.e. armor...fits a small frame person well...picked it up for $120 on sale...

also happy with my fieldsheer slip on pants....adjustable knee and shin guard built in...(no hip protection)...picked it up for $70 on sale...little baggy..and, i actually use them as snowboarding pants too...

descente gloves with wind blockers are my favorite winter gloves...it's actually my cycling gloves, but has been great for freezing cold days...

alpinestar smx-2 gloves for warm days....$70....

for boots...tried on many pairs of motorcycle boots...but, i like my full leather army boots....i can run in them and i think it'll keep my feet and ankle attached...

Last edited by ahnh666; 03-21-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

STG is the best/cheapest site i found for gear, they try their products out and do video reviews for many of the popular items to give you advice for sizing and comfort/function of the gear... plus they allow free size exchange if it doesn't fit... in addition they commonly run massive closeouts on stuff they are looking to just get rid of... I've bought waterproof boots for like 80 bucks that were 160 originally. IMO they are one of the most comprehensive/competively priced retailers I have found, plus the staff is actually helpfull... they all ride as well and can give their personal opinions about your decisions.

Motorcycle Gear | Sportbike Track Gear

Last edited by LikesToThump; 03-21-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought the Shoei RF-1100 with my bike for street riding.

I just bought this O'Neil 7 Series helmet for $75 from Cycle Gear for off-road riding.

For gloves I love the Icon Justice Touchscreen Gloves. They're pricy at $100, but they allow me to operate my phone with them on.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

klim gear, you wont have to purchase twice.

For a full face helmet you might look at AFX fx39. My buddies have them and like them. Seem priced well at about 125. Dirt bike helmet with flip up shield.

Dual sport or adventure boots are flexible. I chose Gaerne Balance

Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Depending on terrain, the stock gearing should be fine for commuting up to about 65-70 MPH (for short runs). You should be able to do 55-60 MPH all day long with the stock setup. If you're riding mostly flat roads, you may want to pop a 15T on the front to bump the RPM down a bit.

Where I live, it's easy to change thousands of feet in elevation in relatively short distances. Even the 14T is a little tall for many roads here. Have to down-shift to make it up over some hills. I tried a 13T, which was GREAT off-road, but too short for riding street... got the revs up too high for my liking. That's why I went back to the 14T. A 15T would be out of the question for me.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I looked up army boots but there are zillions... Is there a brand you found to work well? I like the idea for commuting. Anyone else like these?

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 03-21-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

i went with some standard rothco Rothco GI Type Speedlace Combat Boot 10 Inch Black ...cheap and waterproof...got i on sale for $50...hose off before taking them off to clean....i typically wear size 10, but i wear size 9 rothco with insoles...pretty comfortable after you break them in (for me it was)....

Quick Reply: Gear recommendations