Gasoline Reserve Canisters

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Gasoline Reserve Canisters

I saw on one post that someone was carring backup reserve of gasoline in canisters ina hard case on the back of the KLX. Can anyone recall where these canisters came from seemed like there were two sizes and some question as to which one would fit in the case?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Gasoline Reserve Canisters

that would probably be deej..... and they were MSR fuel bottles.... i have used those for fuel for my backpacking stove while backpacking...
http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/bottles.asp I do not know which size will fit.... im sure deej will chime in when he wakes up.....lol.... its kinda ealy over on the west coast.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

If you have something similar to the DirtBagz frames on your bike, check out this link.

http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/sto.../3/products/49

Don't strap it to your rack if you want to take it on the trails though because you will break your subframe. We already had a forum member try the with the Acerbis auxilliary tank. If you can mount it in the same fashion as saddle bags (I.E.to a saddle bagframe), you'regood asgold.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yaaaaaaaaaaaawn, hold it........mmmmmmmm coffee. OK I'm awake now. Yes what I take on trips where I don't know where I am going to end up (aren't those the best ones?) is the MSR fuel bottles. I picked up mine at our local all in one grocery/hardware/clothing store. I have seen them on-line in several places. I can get 2 of the 22 oz bottles in the pelican along with some other stuff, and I will usually throw 2 of the 33 oz bottles in the camelbak. 110 ounces of extra gas doesn't sound like a lot, but they are not intended to replace running out of gas, they are made so that if you are way out on the trail and hit reserve, it will hopefully get you back to somewhere. If I was to head south to the next town it is 101 miles from here, so you bet I would be taking the bottles with me. Here are a couple of pics, and links where you might find them.

Name:  100_4932small.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0434.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  84.6 KB

Some other things you can get in the pelican 1200

An 8 piece box of chicken
Name:  103_6203.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  88.9 KB

As you can see the skin on one piece didn't make it all the way home.

25 ft tow chain
Name:  DSCN0433.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  60.6 KB

Sorry I digress. [8D] Actually you can find the bottles at any larger outdoor and camping store. I googled them, and they are everywhere.

Here is the main website http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/bottles.asp

There is a zip code dealer locate on that site.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Gas capacity on this motorcycle is really low. The Clark tank will get you to 2.7 "real" gallons without the mods IMS and Acerbis make you do.

I'm thinking about putting 4 of those 33oz bottles in saddle bags because I don't want that weight on my back. Sure it's only ~8 pounds but, there has to be a better place to put it. Too bad the back luggage rack is so wimpy and can't take 25 pounds.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

Gas capacity on this motorcycle is really low. The Clark tank will get you to 2.7 "real" gallons without the mods IMS and Acerbis make you do.

I'm thinking about putting 4 of those 33oz bottles in saddle bags because I don't want that weight on my back. Sure it's only ~8 pounds but, there has to be a better place to put it. Too bad the back luggage rack is so wimpy and can't take 25 pounds.
Actually I don't even notice the two 33 oz bottles in my pack, and really you only have to carry them long enough to get the gas into the tank. So after an hour I usually dump the 33 oz bottles in my tank and save the two 22 oz for an emergency. Empty the bottles are supper light aluminum.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Good point! I really have an aversion to gasoline anywhere around food or water.

Ideally I'm looking for 4 gallons so I have a solid reliable ~200 mile range on the road. Not that I would sit in the saddle without a break that longbut, when the one gas station between two points is closed, I have a long walk. And yes, I have driven 400 miles in my car without an open gas station so, maybe I'm a little paranoid about gas capacity. The thought of being 60 miles away from anyone without working transportation is a scary one. Heck, even in my pickup I take 15 gallons in cans to supplement my range.