The game begins.talking to a dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Default The game begins.talking to a dealer

What should I say to get the best price? I excited and sad cause normally i get screwd over.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: The game begins.talking to a dealer

I would start by calling a few dealers, ask them what their OTD price would be. Where do you live?

Old 06-23-2006, 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Icantrideabike
What should I say to get the best price? I excited and sad cause normally i get screwd over.
I know what you mean... I got a fairly decent deal on my bike, but I know the dealership got a good deal too because I was just so excited... I know I could've held out for more.

My father used to sell cars for years, and he said the worst thing you can do is go to any dealership expecting to leave with your new vehicle. If you do, they've already got you.

I'd say call around, though most dealers aren't all that helpful over the phone. Bring a pen and paper with you, go down to the dealer (again, DON'T BUY ANYTHING), and ask them what their best OTD price is going to be. Sit down with them, and do everything they want short of buying a bike. Get them to invest time with you, then say thank you, but I need to look around. DON'T BUY ANYTHING!!! After you've gone to a few dealers, you'll get a good idea of what kind of prices you can get, but also learn which dealers are treating you well.

Then go in to whichever one looks best, and tell them you really want to buy from them, but you can get it cheaper from XYZ... What can they do to help you. The guy on the sales floor will likely huff and puff and say he can't do anything else, and eventually end up taking a trip or three to the sales manager in the back room. He may even come out to talk to you directly. This is just how the system works... If they're helpful, and you feel like you're getting a good deal, it's now OK to buy the bike. If you don't feel like you're getting a good deal... BE PREPARED TO WALK.

I think that about covers all the advice my father gave me... OH YEAH! Get financing outside of the dealer if at all possible, and tell them you'll be paying cash. That's a magic word for them....

Old 06-23-2006, 07:32 PM

You will pay MSRP. Its june and sunny and these things are flying off the show room floor. Work on them for gear and wave the set up fees.Just hury and buy the thing time is wasting.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Excellent advice, Gerg. Also, always negotiate in reference to a sale price - worry about financing and interest rates later if you need to get a loan. Never negotiate a "payment". As Gerg says, you are in charge as long as you are willing to not make a purchase that day. Be prepared to walk out. Don't be shy about letting them know you are not happy with that price. Also, tell the sales person up front what you want - be direct and don't beat around the bush. Generally you'll get the same courtesy in return.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I just got my new KLX250S two days ago. [sm=happybounce.gif]

My local dealers couldn't get the bike and the closest one that had it was an hour away and they wanted $5400 OTD. So with a little research I bought it from a dealer in Ohio for an OTD price of $4742 including shipping to Miami (also about an hour drive).

It came in a big box and was ready to go, just had to put on the mirrors. Very smooth transaction and only two days for shipping. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Here's the link, I delt with Scott Johnson. PS it came with a 30 day Ohio temp tag. [sm=gears.gif]

http://www.cycletrader.com/caddetail...8/81014588.htm

Old 06-24-2006, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

I just got my new KLX250S two days ago. [sm=happybounce.gif]

My local dealers couldn't get the bike and the closest one that had it was an hour away and they wanted $5400 OTD. So with a little research I bought it from a dealer in Ohio for an OTD price of $4742 including shipping to Miami (also about an hour drive).

It came in a big box and was ready to go, just had to put on the mirrors. Very smooth transaction and only two days for shipping. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Here's the link, I delt with Scott Johnson. PS it came with a 30 day Ohio temp tag. [sm=gears.gif]

http://www.cycletrader.com/caddetail...8/81014588.htm

Just to clear some stuff up for you potential buyers lurking on the site. OTD really means the bike registered, taxes paid, and legal on the road. So Finger Mullet's $4742 is not really OTD as you still have to register it and pay taxes and fees correct? I think that's why there seems to be such a variances in the prices on this board. Some are just quoting prices on the bike(which isn't OTD) and some are quoting it on the road with taxes, registration & plates(which is OTD).

Anyway, congratulations on your bike man! You will enjoy it immensely.

Old 06-24-2006, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats a 10-4 FM Thumper, it'll be just over 5K with tax and registration, but still better than 5.4K. Just trying to provide him some options. Besides I had a job in Miami, so I got paid for mileage. I figured everyone knew the price didn't include tax and tag, I was just annoyed that the not so local dealers would not budge on the price so I had one shipped in, but I thought it was funny it came with a temp Ohio tag.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:38 AM

i called a dealer he sad under 5 grand but didnt want to give a exsact price. Thats k cause iam still 1000.00 short.