Front Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Front Brake Question

Hey guys, my front brakes seem inconsistent. Sometimes they are nice and strong and progressive and other times they are fairly weak. My resevoir is full according to the sight glass and there are no leaks but I can squeeze the lever right to the bar even after pumping it several times. On my Sportsman 500 HO the single lever activates both front and rear brakes and the first touch its a bit soft but the second its very hard and you can barely move the lever and you are going to stop NOW, considering all 4 wheels are slowing you down. Even in fairly loose dirt I can grab a handful of front brake and it will slow down but to get it to lock up I really have to cram on it. Now I don't want it to lock up all the time but I'm just trying to feel out what its like when the front breaks traction. On the street I primarily use the front brake only and occasionally I'll use the rear in conjunction for a nice level stop or when the light suddenly changes I'll grab both. It just seems like the brakes are weak compared to others that I've ridden with hydraulic front brakes. Would braided steel lines give a better feel or are they worth the price at all? I doubt the line would need to be bled but it does seem like I'm getting more compression than there should be with the hydraulic setup.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Front Brake Question

In one of my first post on this site I mentioned that the front brake seemed weak and lacked feedback to me. I was told by a few of the old timers here that it was just me. Nothing's wrong with the front brake. [:@] Well, it feels like mush to me. [:'(]

I put SS lines on my old MGB and it made a world of difference in the braking and feedback through the pedal.

Try this experment. With the bike parked in the driveway, go grab a big handfull of front brake while you have your other hand lightly holding the front brake line. Feel that rubber expand?! That's force/pressure that should be going to the brake piston, not used to expand the rubber line.

Yes, I think that there worth it. As soon as someone post a link with a P/N that they know will work with our bikes, I'll buy one.

Willum
TC

Old 09-13-2006, 04:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd give a big thumbs up to SS brake lines. They made a huge difference on my Sporty. That being said I actually thought one of the best features on the bike when I bought it was the brakes. Compared to my dr250S there much better. Perhaps the issue isnt so much as needing SS lines as perhaps maybe a good bleeding or a M/C rebuild. My 2 cents...

LV

Old 09-13-2006, 08:01 AM

my s.s. brakeline will be here tomorrow. ill let you know any difference it makes

Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I have had sports bikes, touring bikes and many trail bikes, I'm really happy with the front brake on the KLX. Of course like any mass produced vehicle can be improved.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Bringing back an old thread here... Anyone have a direct link for a SS front brake line that they know fits the KLX250S? Thanks gang!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:28 AM

I have looked all over and couldn't find one. If you just measure the length of it and get one with the same angle fittings and the same length it will work. All the banjo bolts are the same size. If anyone has found a kit for the KLX please post up.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:34 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klxstiffler

my s.s. brakeline will be here tomorrow. ill let you know any difference it makes
maybe pm klxstiffler?

Old 02-16-2007, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I found one on ebay for a 97-04 KLX300R. From what I can found out, that bike has the same front brake setup as our 250. I prob. go ahead and order it unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=
STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=1900735562 71&rd=1,1

Bueller... Anyone?

Quick Reply: Front Brake Question