Front brake caliper slide pin inside hex rounded out

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Front brake caliper slide pin inside hex rounded out

Front brake caliper slide pin inside hex rounded out. Brand new hex tip will not engage, neither will a torx bit. I put the caliper in a vice to better work on it. Plan to soak in penetrating fluid. Anyone have this same problem and get the little bastard out? Will order new pins tonight. Damn, my bike is down now. Had to pull the brake pads out cause my dumb *** got some oil on the rotor and pads. I am thinking about drilling out the thing but will still have to address the remaining threads after getting the pads out.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

After my last I remembered that buried in my toolbox is a set of easy outs, snap on brand, that I have seldom had need for. A few minutes after soaking in nut buster I hammered my 7/32" easy out in and gently turned my long *** 7/16" double box end wrench and she came loose. Dave breathes a sigh of relief because he didn't jack up the caliper in the process. Bitch was tight. Tried a chisel and just peeled off metal. I guess compared to the cost of a new caliper the easy outs paid for themselves.

Attached Thumbnails Front brake caliper slide pin inside hex rounded out-image-39-.jpeg  

Last edited by snappster; 08-22-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I used one of these to loosen those pins https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...CABEgIwr_D_BwE

Old 08-23-2017, 02:46 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxnoobie
I used one of these to loosen those pins https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...CABEgIwr_D_BwE
Those simple little hammer smacked impact tools are amazingly effective. I have a lot cheaper version I've had for decades, and they flat out work. The beauty is they almost never bugger up the head of the fastener if you use the tool halfway correctly.

snappster, a little antiseize will go a long way for the next time.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have a welder ,I can give you a surefire method.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxnoobie
I have a couple of those buried in the tool box somewhere. Hope I remember them next time a need arises.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Works well when used with one of these
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-24-2017, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad you got it sorted so easily.
I had a pin go south on me too.
It happened when I made the mistake of using an allen wrench instead of an impact socket (which I own now) on my stuck pin.
I just drilled the whole head out with my drill press and vice. I used a drill bit slightly larger than the pin. That let me free the head from the actual pin. Once the head was disconnected from the pin it freely spun out. Then I drove the pin out with a punch.
And fortunately I had a spare pin on hand.
I now use an impact socket to do the job.
I also pull the pin a couple times a year and clean it up and make sure there's lube on the threads.