Fort Myers KLX

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Default Fort Myers KLX

I spotted a new KLX in Fort Myers today, and I was wondering if it was anybody on here? I would like to check one out in person because the dealership in town dosen't have one in stock. I'm looking at getting a new KLX or DRZ 400SM in a month or so. Since im posting I have a quick question. This is going to be my first bike and I have heard people complain about the KLX being underpowered. Has anybody had any problems with there bikes being underpowered on the street, or keeping up with friends on MX bikes through light trails and such? Like I said this is going to be my first bike, so underpowered to some might just be enough power for me. The only thing I am worried about with the DRZ400SM is its offroad capabilites (suck has hitting small track jumps). Any help with making my decision would be big help.

PS: I am going to be riding whichever bike I get almost everyday in the city to and from class and work because my Camaro dosen't exactly get the best MPG.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Fort Myers KLX

id say test drive both.. im not gonna be a fanboy.. id suggest that if you plan on doin ur majority of drivin city/roads id opt for the drz. with my experience mods are practically a necessity to make the klx run right. and its a woods racer with small road jots thrown in.. not vice versa which is what it sounds like what u need.
altho i can guarantee if u ride a klx thru the city ur gonna get alot of attention ;p
(especially with an open aftermarket pipe)

Old 05-21-2007, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

for street and light trails the drz is a better bike. it has more power. it also is a lot heavier so you have to consider that. on the klx you'll have to hammer the bike to keep up with your friends in the dirt. on the drz you'll be the one getting hammered not the bike. that much weight will do that to you. you should test ride both bikes before you buy.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:31 AM

I have wanted a dirtbike ever since I was little, but never had the means to get one. Right now I want something I can actaully ride hard and jump stuff offroad, but ride to the spot because I dont have anything to tow it with. My school is about 10min from my house and that would be the majority of my street riding. Weight is something I am really considering because I actaully want the bike to be as close to an MX bike as possiable.....just street legal. How does the KLX feel compared to a 250F power wise? Its pretty much the same motor right? I would really like to test ride both bikes but as I said before, I know nobody that owns them. The dealerships dont let you take at new bikes to test right? (pretty much positive they dont)

Old 05-21-2007, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

From My Short expierience with The KLX I feel that it has enough power for me right now, I have not had a Dirtbike in 20 years and as a beginner it has more than enough stock. and if you outgrow the stock power. you can do the many mods described in this forum to get more power. I do remember a guy posted a picture of him jumping his KLX almost as good as a MX bike.

Ken

Old 05-21-2007, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

if u plan on treating this bike like an mx'r plan on redoin the suspension... i weigh 160 and ive found that while it will handle *light* jumps if ur catchin serious air you will be bottomimg out hard on landing (once or twice ive landed hard enough that i thought i broke her right in half). alot are reporting good results with just a spring upgrade in the front end.. another thing on my to do list.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:51 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thecamarokid

I have wanted a dirtbike ever since I was little, but never had the means to get one. Right now I want something I can actaully ride hard and jump stuff offroad, but ride to the spot because I dont have anything to tow it with. My school is about 10min from my house and that would be the majority of my street riding. Weight is something I am really considering because I actaully want the bike to be as close to an MX bike as possiable.....just street legal. How does the KLX feel compared to a 250F power wise? Its pretty much the same motor right? I would really like to test ride both bikes but as I said before, I know nobody that owns them. The dealerships dont let you take at new bikes to test right? (pretty much positive they dont)
Any comparison between the KLX and the KX250F would be limited to the fact that they are both green and the displacement is 250 on both. Other than that there is no comparison. They do not share the same engine, or suspension. I own both so you can trust me on this. The 250F is without a doubt too much power for a new rider! The KLX however is a great trail bike that can be ridden on the street. The debate on DRZ vs. KLX can go on forever. I personally don't care for the feel of the DRZ. To me it feels "lazy" on the trails, the KLX is more "nimble". That pretty much winds up my review.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

With the mods I have below I ride to work daily, 16 miles on 2 lane @ 60-65 mph to get to work and then take 14 miles of pavement and 2 miles of trail coming home. Stock its a great bike to learn on, super forgiving. With a carb rejet and ANY more free flowing exhaust it really wakes it up. It will pull hard to redline up through 4th gear which is about 60 mph if you take it right to redline, pulls good to 75 where it kinda peters out. I've had 95 indicated but that was tucked down and held wide open trying to catch my buddy on a Honda 650L on the street. I'd get close and he could just roll on the throttle and walk away.

Trail wise, I think its great on the trails, a bit tall for me but I'm getting used to it (3700 miles on it so far). I regularly ride with the 650L on the trails and can manage to pace him easily unless its a wide open gravel road. The tighter the trail the better it is with its super low first gear. If you can hang on there isn't much it won't go up in first gear.

Although if you want more of an MX bike you might want to be looking at the Husky's or KTM's, they are street legal race bikes moreor less.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:26 AM

Thanks for all the input from everybody. I am sort of using my test taking skills to rule out the bikes that wont work,haha.
KTM 450- Bike looks awesome and I would probably get that bike, but the $8,000 price tag is not an option.

DRZ- Its a heavier bike and I want something that I will be able to toss around in trails and such, and I am willing to give up some power for that. I like what vfrpilot said about the KLX being "nimble" compared to the DRZ feeling "lazy". I would much rather have a "nimble" bike.

KLX- I think it will be the best bike for me to start with. It is the least expensive out of all three bikes I am looking at (which is a big plus). Once I get used to the bike and if I feel it needs a little more performance I have no problem doing some mods. (its hard for me to leave things stock anyways)

I just wish I knew somebody who owned one so I could take it for a quick cruise.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

try looking for a used bike first. i got mine off of craigslist and test rode the crap out of it before i bought it.