Fork springs, should I try?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Fork Oil

ZW: I think I'll try changing the oil, but may ride it first with current so that I get a feel for how oil weight makes a difference. That may be a while though...4" of fresh white fluffy stuff on the ground this morning.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Good idea.

I would go for a ride today (in the great white north) but it's raining

Old 12-02-2010, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Do it your self man. It is real easy to do. It is a 1 man job with minor struggles and 2 guys with a couple of beers make it real easy. the caps come off with a cresent wrench. I think the nut to disconnect the cap from the valve is a 15mm wrench. dont quote me on it.

The biggest thing to worry about is dont let the valve fall into the fork tube, because fishing it can be a real pain in the butt.

I had a friend help and we had both done in less than time that it took to put the bike up on the stand and get the tools together.

Good luck.

Steve

PS if you are over 160lbs with gear, they need to be done, especially if you do any riding on the street. you will notice that once you put weight appropriate springs in and adjust your sag, the frt wheel does not dive as heard when you grab the brake.

Last edited by buffalony; 12-02-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member

what he said

Old 12-02-2010, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony
dont quote me on it.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony
Do it your self man. It is real easy to do. It is a 1 man job with minor struggles and 2 guys with a couple of beers make it real easy. the caps come off with a cresent wrench. I think the nut to disconnect the cap from the valve is a 15mm wrench. dont quote me on it.

The biggest thing to worry about is dont let the valve fall into the fork tube, because fishing it can be a real pain in the butt.

I had a friend help and we had both done in less than time that it took to put the bike up on the stand and get the tools together.

Good luck.

Steve

PS if you are over 160lbs with gear, they need to be done, especially if you do any riding on the street. you will notice that once you put weight appropriate springs in and adjust your sag, the frt wheel does not dive as heard when you grab the brake.
Man, you must have done this a fews times before. Like I said, I had somebody do the suspension on my KLX but a fews years back I helped a friend redo his fork seals on his Yamaha WR450 and it was a royal PITA. Took a bit longer than it did to get the bike on the stands, thats for sure.

I have done everything else on my bike myself, but I have never done the suspension myself, someday I will. Kudos to all of you who have.

Last edited by BigSky KLX; 12-02-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I plan on ordering the springs this weekend. Anyone know of a good company to ordr them from, preferably a site that lets me look up the proper springs for my weight. I'm 190lbs.
Thanks again everyone!
Jim...........

Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimntr
I plan on ordering the springs this weekend. Anyone know of a good company to ordr them from, preferably a site that lets me look up the proper springs for my weight. I'm 190lbs.
Thanks again everyone!
Jim...........
Jim -
look as some of the earlier threads on springs/shocks/forks and you'll find several mentioned including Moto Pro, Race Tech, HyperPro, and Cogent. On Moto Pro, see "My BIKE" on the top menu bar. John at Moto Pro seems to be highly recommended here. I personally am ordering Race Tech based on TNCs recommendations for a DIY and my local shop's familiarity with the company and their products. HyperPro has a progressive spring set which is intriguing, but I didn't see too many here using them. I tagged these threads:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=33646
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=33721
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=33034

Go do it!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

You are probably aware of this. The Race Tech rate calculator.

http://old.racetech.com/evalving/Spr...ork&bikeid=570

Old 12-02-2010, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Definatly do it yourself. IMHO changing the fork springs is eiser than putting a jet kit in the carb. Simply becuase you dont have to remove everything to get to the part of the bike you want to work on.
Cheers Jim

Quick Reply: Fork springs, should I try?