Fork springs, should I try?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Fork springs, should I try?

Hi everyone, It looks like I wont be riding much until spring now and I need stiffer fork springs so this winter is the perfect time. I am wondering if I should pay someone to install new springs or should I attempt it? I am a mechanic, but know nothing about working on motorcycle suspension. What's your opinion?
Also, I think I would like a small windshield. Do you guys that have a windshield you like? If so, what should I get?

Thanks for your help!
Jim...........

Old 12-01-2010, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Talking

The service manual is posted here, do the springs your self.

I have a spitfire windshield and its fine. It may come off when its warmer out.

David

Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm sure there are some experts here and I have never had the fork on my 09 apart so I'm uneducated on it but are you sure you need to change, some times on other bikes I've had you could add a small amout of fork oil or go to a different wt. and make quite a change in the way the forks worked. On the 09 the forks can't be preloaded with air but I understand that the older models had a schrarer valve and you could try adding a half pound or so to each side to see if it was more to your liking, I never been one to preload my forks with air but I've seen it done. But like I said I have not been into any of the suspension on this bike so I can't help with that but I know from past experience that you can work with what you got.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know, I am somewhat mechanically inclined and I didn't feel like tackling this one. I know of a great shop a few towns over that mostly works on racing bikes and off road bikes. I hauled my KLX over to them and they re-sprung and re-valved both my front and rear suspension. Made a huge difference in the bikes handling, feels way better now.
Anyways, these were skilled guys and do this for a living and it took them an awful long time and some special tools to do it. It was basically an all day job for them. It cost me just a shade over $500 for everything including install. Not too bad considering just the parts alone were over $200. Also, they set the sag and all that with me on it so now it is dialed in perfect.
Could I have done it myself? Yeah, probably, but I don't think I would have enjoyed it. Plus now I get all the adjustments I want for free.

As far as needing to change the springs, YES you need to change them. These bikes are set up for a person weighing 150 lbs. If you weigh 180 or above, the stock springs are way undersprung for you. I weigh 225+ and needed to go up like 3 spring sizes. The rear spring is a little better stock but still undersized.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Nah, do it yourself.
I did mine.
There are special tools but you don't "need" them.
Take your time but fork springs aren't too difficult.

Somewhere on here is a full write up by Nobrakes.
I'll try and find it.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Sweet, thank you NA for finding the thread. Springs on rear and forks are scheduled for next week as a DIY project. I'm gonna try springs only right now, and valves later if it doesn't all shake out okay. Snow is falling and no riding to be done for a while, so this is a great time for maintenance and mods . Cheers.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Springs are easy. You won't have any problem.

One thing I would do, if you're going up in spring rate, I would change the oil, and go up to a 7.5 weight.

I mixed 5W and 10W Belray to get the 7.5W on my bike, and it make a big difference in the handling.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey thanks NA, I read the post you found and it looked to be much easier than I had pictured in my head. Now its time to get some springs.
Thanks......

Old 12-01-2010, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I've lowered it two inches since this picture was taken and covered the screws with black plastic caps. Looks almost factory.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ght=windshield

Quick Reply: Fork springs, should I try?