Fork Spring Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
I weigh 185 lbs.
The stock KLX250 is undersprung with stock springs
I installed .44 kg/mm fork springs and a 6.1 kg/mm shock spring.
This setup works great for me.

I'd suggest that you call Cogent Dynamics and talk to them about springs for your weight.
If you call you'll likely not get Rick as he's always busy. However talk to Joyce, tell her you're looking for suspension info for a KLX250
Specifically springs. Tell them I recommended Cogent. I know Rick and Joyce personally and ride with them at times.
They're good people and will work with to get the best setup.
Rick rides a KLX250 himself and is very knowledgeable on suspension setup
He can recommend springs based on your weight.

You'll be very happy with a spring update.

I have a web site with KLX250 info if you care to look at it.
KLX250S Home Page

I've recently installed a Mikuni pumper carb and will be updating my web site with that information when I find time.

Doug Pippin
d_pippin_89@bellsouth.net
Doug, do you happen to have the physical dimensions of the fork springs please. I bought some from Teknik but they were a bit longer & I feel maybe they have too much preload, my forks have the correct amount of sag but feel way too harsh & I think the extra preload contributes to this.

thanks

Old 09-21-2015, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by griffo1962
Doug, do you happen to have the physical dimensions of the fork springs please. I bought some from Teknik but they were a bit longer & I feel maybe they have too much preload, my forks have the correct amount of sag but feel way too harsh & I think the extra preload contributes to this.

thanks
I can't tell you the free length of the shock spring because it's installed on the bike.
If it's of use I can measure the installed height but that won't be of much use to you.

If you need the spring dimensions that I have you could call Cogent Dynamics. Talk to Joyce. 828-628-9025
If they have a spring in stock they can give you the dimensions and may have the dimensions even if they don't have a spring in stock.

I may be wrong but if you have the correct sag the length of the spring should not be a problem. I'd guess that the reason they feel harsh is spring rate is too high.

Doug

Old 11-08-2015, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Just giving this old post a bump to the top to thank those who contributed to it as it was extremely helpful to me today!
I installed .46km/mm fork springs and a 6.2kg/mm rear but have not had the opportunity to really try them out due to the PNW weather...

Rear sag numbers came out perfect once I revised my calculations to reflect just 9.1" of suspension travel... for some reason I had done all my calculations with the 2007 and down figure of 10". This is based on 175 and a 1 gallon Rotopax on the rear rack.

My initial impression is that the front spring change is not as drastic as I expected, though the front end dive is noticeably less... I will be experimenting more with the dampening adjusters once I can get some better seat time... trying springs alone before considering Gold Valves.

All I would add is that I was able to use a 5/8" wrench, under the 17mm nut, to hold the shaft up and unwind the spring from around it. Someone said they used a 15mm but that was too small on my 2012.

Thanks to all who contributed.
God Bless,
TC