Forgot to cancel your turn blinker?? Duhhh!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Forgot to cancel your turn blinker?? Duhhh!

the turn switch is just that a switch right?...well I remember taking my dad's friend's bike out the day I got my liscence..it was a 1982 LTD440 or was it a 400...anyway, it had self-cancelling signal lites..I thought it was awesome, I don't see why you couldn't buy that signal control switch and replace the stock one...good luck finding a dealer that could get that part though..just an idea.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Newer Harley's have self cancelling signals... They sense the tilt and cancel shortly after the bike returns to vertical.
Sometimes they don't work if your turn isn't "hard" enough to angle the bike over that far.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

Newer Harley's have self cancelling signals... They sense the tilt and cancel shortly after the bike returns to vertical.
Sometimes they don't work if your turn isn't "hard" enough to angle the bike over that far.
If your turn isn't hard enough and they don't cancel then the time / speed thing kicks in and cancels it. Don't know how it works but it is tied to the speedometer and after so long of a time if you are moving, they go ahead and cancel.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

the LTD I rode used a simple timer system...they just cancelled after about 10 secs, no tilt sensor stuff or speed vs time thingies...just time itself. HMMMM...now I'm thinking, I am an electronics technician by trade, I should be smart enuf to come with something..right? where are my old electronics books?.................

Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

the LTD I rode used a simple timer system...they just cancelled after about 10 secs, no tilt sensor stuff or speed vs time thingies...just time itself. HMMMM...now I'm thinking, I am an electronics technician by trade, I should be smart enuf to come with something..right? where are my old electronics books?.................
Sounds irritating.

Imagine sitting at a stop light, wanting to turn left, and having to turn your signal back on every ten seconds...

Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Irritating is that all trucks (class 7 and 8 ,big rigs) are required to have audible alerts for turns and 4 ways after 2006.....try sitting on a job with that bastard device peircing your ears for 3 hours......they are brutally loud and i promptly ripped mine out from under the dash in less than a week......I also stopped driving truck 2 years later due to asshats in cars........I'm back to being a wrench ..now i wish i had my Peterbilt back.........oh well you can't win....my KLX is silent and i push the button......just the way i like it.....just don't forget...you are the rider and you must pay attention.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

I can identify with that.

ORIGINAL: KLXer

+1

But I make a habit of pushing hit cancel all the time as I ride--Im just paranoid--even if I have not turned for 100 miles
Too funny, I thought I was the only one!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I found a few self-cancelling modules, but I won't bother posting them as the fine print says they won't work with signal lites that have the cancel button (such as ours). They run anywhere from $60 US to $100 US, but if i find one suitable for the KLX, I'll post it for anyone who may be interested...For the record, the self-cancelling lites are sweet...I think everybody that retires and still drives should get them lol

Old 01-24-2008, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

There are timers available that are 12 volt. Many cars use them already such as for rear defrosters. Here is one you could make. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...wden/page2.htm

Old 01-24-2008, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I found a few self-cancelling modules, but I won't bother posting them as the fine print says they won't work with signal lites that have the cancel button (such as ours). They run anywhere from $60 US to $100 US, but if i find one suitable for the KLX, I'll post it for anyone who may be interested...For the record, the self-cancelling lites are sweet...I think everybody that retires and still drives should get them lol
Hey Jason, I resemble that remark! How 'bout a bit of respect for your elders?? Ha! [:-]

Quick Reply: Forgot to cancel your turn blinker?? Duhhh!