Forgot to cancel your turn blinker?? Duhhh!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Forgot to cancel your turn blinker?? Duhhh!

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

the LTD I rode used a simple timer system...they just cancelled after about 10 secs, no tilt sensor stuff or speed vs time thingies...just time itself. HMMMM...now I'm thinking, I am an electronics technician by trade, I should be smart enuf to come with something..right? where are my old electronics books?.................
There are timers available that are 12 volt. Many cars use them already such as for rear defrosters. Here is one you could make. http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...wden/page2.htm
Hey, Gerry,

Don't forget that you will still have a positve mechanical connection at the turn switch that has yet to be cancelled! As an aside, those circuits on the PDF left me remembering why I didn't pursue my USAF electronics training. What a headache I can recall! HA!!

[ul][*]I still think that my original$20 solution, is the best of the bunch.. (SEE THE LINK IN THE ORIGINAL POST THAT I SUBMITTED ON THIS SUBJECT for the WEB or Ebay address),[*]Costs less,[*]Is immediately available,[*]Can be made by the user,[*]Can be safely assured that the turn siganal is cancelled 'cause the audible sound isn't alarming any more,[*]Radio shack has a whole series of peizo 'buzzers' that can be had at reasonable decible levels. (That'll keep Deej, & others,contented.)[/ul]
All the best..'n bye for now!

Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the more I think about it, the less I want to pursue the development of a timer circuit,especially the ones gerry posted as they are a little on the elaborant side. There are others out there a lot simpler with a lot fewer components.
However, I did search bikebandit for thetimer part for the 1980 LTD440 (that's the bike I rode back whenI first got my liscence), but wasn't able to find it...unless it was the flasher itself (the flasher in the exploded view looks like it may have had a circuit molded into the side of the cover... hmmmmm)
Self-cancelling timers I guess weren't meant for dual-sport bikes AND afterall it is mostly a dirtbike, so why incorporate the cushy streetbike options?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

002197rp,

sorry ifI offended anyone (unless you do leave your signal lite on for miles) I also just thought of a downside to the audible noise maker...what if you have one of those big gun exhuasts and a tight helmet and/or are hard of hearing? Now not only is your flasher on, your bike is waking the neighbors with its loud muffler, but there is an awful high-pitched beeping emitting throughout the neighborhood[]

Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like your typical Big Gun hater. Everyone knows it barks like a Rottweiler!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

just a dig...I don't have one, but I hear it's quite the muffler.