FMF Q4 issues for the 09.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default FMF Q4 issues for the 09.

I did this write up in response to the recent thread, but I fugured it may deserve some more exposure.

The FMF will melt the bottom of your stock blinker. It happened on the first 60 mile ride. I tried to put some aluminum tape over the part that got melted off, but it didn't last. As of now, I'm still using the melted blinker.

Here's the damage.

Below is a picture with a smaller spark arrestor insert (see below) and some aluminum tape in a feeble attempt to cover the hole.

Another issue I have with the FMF is that the opening on the spark arrestor insert is WAY too big for a 250. I found it to be VERY loud. I replaced it with the insert that came stock on my KTM 450xcr-w. What you see above, is the the FMF pipe on the 250 with the insert from the pipe on my 450 installed. The stock insert opening is 1.30" and the one from my KTM is 1.05" diameter.

For reference, here is the KTM that I pulled it out of. It came stock with that KTM by FMF silencer (and the 1.05" dia insert)
Name:  20101218295.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  114.5 KB

Here they are side by side. The stock insert for the 250 is on the left. Way too big.

If you call FMF, they will tell you that they don't have any smaller tips. That's BS. If you want to buy one, you have to ask for the insert that comes in the FMF silencer part number SXS89450512. You'll need to do a little trimming though.

This is the side view, too long. In addition to the smaller port size, this part comes with an extra baffle plate.

Using tin snips, I cut the screen about 1/4" past the baffle plate and bent it inwards.

Another view of them side by side.

The result is a quieter pipe without being restrictive. I have a decibel meter that I may use to measure the actual difference sometime soon.

Another complaint that I had with FMF is that the forward mounting bolt hole doesn't line up. It's at least 1/4" off on mine and there's no way to get the bolt in. It's secure with the pipe clamp and the one bolt though. I don't ride it off road so I think it'll be ok. If I could just go back in time, I'd just modify the stock pipe to have a larger diameter tip.

Last edited by akarob; 07-28-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm..mine fits fine"all bolts line up" I think the pipe is pretty quiet,But I ride a loud Harley,as for the blinker yeah bad bad bad on FMF they no there's a problem,but like I said on a post,aftermarket blinkers...all done..

Old 07-28-2011, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice write up... you have done your homework.

On page 94 of the sticky thread 'showing off your bad *** klxs' forum member Tiger demonstrates a way to prevent the blinker from getting burnt off. Looks like an FMF pipe with an extension added...

That KTM looks Sic!

Sic=Awesome!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:38 AM
rlj
1st Gear Member

Where would one find an extension as shown in the picture? Good info racegass! I wonder if the sound is compromised with the extension?

Old 07-28-2011, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You may want to edit your picture that has your address, PayPal and name on it.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
1st Gear Member

That's where you can send the donations. :-)

*thanks though, yea I'll edit it.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member

akarob,

I'm watching these threads closely as I'm just about to pull the pin and order the FMF Q4 and header pipe.
Some questions/comments:
1. Seems like the angle of exit of the exhaust on your install points up more than others I've seen.....most others look almost horizontal.
2. Noise.......all I've heard on other threads is how quiet the Q4 is. Yours is the first I've heard about it being loud. I'm concerned about this........... compared to stock how much louder is it??
3. Being you've had mounting issues and the angle of the rear-most part of the exhaust seems to point up more than others, is it possible you could of gotten the wrong header pipe or Q4? Wrong P/N?

Thanks...

Old 07-28-2011, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buerkltucson
akarob,

I'm watching these threads closely as I'm just about to pull the pin and order the FMF Q4 and header pipe.
Some questions/comments:
1. Seems like the angle of exit of the exhaust on your install points up more than others I've seen.....most others look almost horizontal.
2. Noise.......all I've heard on other threads is how quiet the Q4 is. Yours is the first I've heard about it being loud. I'm concerned about this........... compared to stock how much louder is it??
3. Being you've had mounting issues and the angle of the rear-most part of the exhaust seems to point up more than others, is it possible you could of gotten the wrong header pipe or Q4? Wrong P/N?

Thanks...
As for the noise, I can honestly say that it hurt my ears. Even with the smaller insert, it's still quite loud when I'm on the throttle.

I am using the stock header pipe. I haven't checked the actual part number on the pipe, but the dealer ordered it for me when I bought the bike new. If anyone one else has the FMF part number, I can verify mine. It should start in "SXS..." and be located near where it connects to the header.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

^^^ Wow hurts your ears..damm really,this pipe is sooo quiet,even when you get on it,I don't know maybe you did get a defect..

Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I dunno...........something just doesn't make sense how some call it very quiet and others say it hurts their ears.

FMF Q4:
Developed over years of championship off-road racing
Max Sound output 96dB; most models below 93dB
Constructed from aircraft grade aluminum and high strength stainless steel
Use with stock or FMF header
Removable spark arrestor included
Fourth generation of the original Q - high performance quiet technology
Pounds lighter than stock
Developed over years of championship off-road racing
Twin stage core design for lower sound output and extended life of packing material
If they are correct on their specs.....
96db is like a lawn mower........which I wouldn't consider loud on a motorcycle like the KLX250S.

Last edited by buerkletucson; 07-28-2011 at 05:35 PM.