Flat Tire??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Flat Tire??????

I have just 187 miles on the new KLX and my front tire already went FLAT!!!!
I was riding home from a small trail day and I feel real squishy in the front, Look down and I see it--Flat!!!!

I can't believe I got a flat and I wasn't even really riding it heavy at all--I was alone!!!

So now I'm gonna go buy a new PUMP--old one broke--and pump it up to see if maybe I broke the beed or something...
but that wouldn't matter cuz it's a tube right????
Well I'm brand new to this and I gotta say how suprised I am to get a flat from really doing nothing!!!!
It's not completely FLAT, but I can push the tire in and I hear the sound like a tank going down the street!!!

This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God I wasn't in the middle of nowhere when this happened......................

Old 12-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Flat Tire??????

That is weird, I have done a lot of trails, gravel roads and some roads that would give a 4X4 a run for its money, plus a lot of street riding and I still have the original front tire with 3900 miles on it. Sounds like you might have a bum valve or were low to begin with. Let us know what you find out.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I have gotten two flats on the front tire. both times were my fault as I was running the air pressure two low and both times the valve ripped out. I got to put a bead lock on the tire so that doesn't happen any more.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah------it's crazy to have a flat already for really not have rode it much at all!!!!!!

I'm thinking of replacing the tire and rim just to be sure!! Would hate to be stuck some-where far...........

What is an emergency tire change technique in the woods???

What would I need and could someone explain the way to do this please.....................

i've tried to look it up but it's mostly pertaining to cars; very little with reference to bikes..

Any help would be great!!!!!!!!! Thanks

Dave

Old 12-08-2006, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Back in March I also had a flat within a 150 miles of new. pumped it up and was flat by morning. so put a new tube in checked the old one no holes. removed the valve stem put in a new one and it now holds air

Old 12-08-2006, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Factory defect?????

I will say that I did hit 70mph for the first time..........but hope that couldn't cause it!!

Gonna go to dealer in AM and see how bad I can get it rammed up the ****.........

Old 12-08-2006, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

You did your own repair?????

How in the hell would I be able to do that???
I did replace one LCD laptop screen with another last night, but COULD I REPLACE A TUBE???

Please tell.......................

Old 12-08-2006, 02:29 AM

almost a thousand mile now ,,,havent got a flat yet ,,but I am on my second rear tire though LOL ,,,,,change the tube out yourself....its cake.!

Old 12-08-2006, 03:54 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: double d6

You did your own repair?????

How in the hell would I be able to do that???
I did replace one LCD laptop screen with another last night, but COULD I REPLACE A TUBE???

Please tell.......................
Well you sound like me when I first got my bike, but you know I bought the tire irons and a tire changer and when it came time to change the back tire, (Dunlop 606) which was a really stiff tire I decided that since I spent the money on the tools I had better figure out how to change it. Here is a link to a great tire changing thread. It's really not hard at all.

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/m...215721,00.html

Old 12-08-2006, 04:23 AM

I got a flat on Sunday. Let me say first off the a set of cheap tire spoons ($12) is a lot less expensive than taking it to a dealer. Should have a set in your tool kit and a patch kit too if you are out in the woods .02 cents in there. If you have ever changed a bike tire you can change you tube out on the trail, it may take a bit longer but the concept is the same. If you don't check you pressure and you are low (like I was) you'll rip your valve stem out in a hurry. I hardly think that it is a defective rim and tire like you are talking about. Doesn't matter if the bike is brand new out the door tires are made of rubber and the ground and all the things in your path aren't, flats are a risk you take with cars, bikes, trailer and quads..... I guess in short I wouldn't worry about it at all, it isn't gonna be your only while riding on bias tubed tires. Invest in a rim lock about 5 buck and a heavy duty tube 10 bucks. Just follow that link deej put on and you are golden.

Oh, and most of these dual sport and MX tires have strong enough side walls on them that you can ride out a flat and not have to replace the tire..... we're not talking but a couple miles here so don't get carried away. Just be careful, flats are slippery

Quick Reply: Flat Tire??????