first timer with important question, please assist

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default first timer with important question, please assist

ay whats up guys i was just wondering what all is required to operate one of these beasts(klx250) on the road? Do you have to obtain some kind of special permit or license just to drive one, or does having a special permit or license merely help insurance rates and whatnot...Right now I just have my regular drivers license, I have had it for like 6 years, i hope i dont have to go to the damned DMV to take some kind of test before i can legally operate one....thanks for any help guys, you've all been helpful so far.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: first timer with important question, please assist

Supposed it could differ by state, but as far as I know, you need to get a motorcycle endorsement on your license to legally operate a bike on public roads. Yep, DMV test.

In many places you can takea motorcycle safety class, which *MAY* get you out of taking a DMV road test, but you will still be taking the written test.

Its not that bad/hard, good luck...

Old 02-27-2008, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

you have a regular drivers liscense for cars? thats a class C liscense - you'll have to go to the dmv and get a permit for a class M (motorcycle) the requirements for that vary state to state.

recommend taking an MSF (motorcycle safety course) which in most cases will get you the full class M liscense for taking the class

Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

In WA if its got less than 50cc's you only need a drivers Lic, sorry-you should be able to look it up by thestate are you in.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 PM

Assuming that you are in the US, you will need a class M (as noted by others) certification on your drivers license. No states allow 250cc-up bikes to be ridden legally by someone without the class M cert. Most states will automatically give you the class M cert if you pass the MSF safety course. A class M cert can also be obtained by passing a written exam, followed by a on-bike riding exam. Some states require a waiting period after you have taken the written exam before you can take the on-bike exam. Insurance requirements vary too widely state by state to give generalizations.

Here's my opinion on the subject... If you have previous riding experience, then I'd go to the DMV and pick up a M/C test manual...study for 30 min, then take the exam. Take the ride-on exam as soon as you can after that and you'll be fine. If you DO NOT have previous riding experience, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE go take the MSF safety course and don't become another statistic and further reason to increase my insurance rates. Info on the MSF course can be found here... http://www.msf-usa.org/