First Post, 340 Kit Install etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default First Post, 340 Kit Install etc.

New to the forum and the bike. Picking up a bone stock 2012 KLX 250S for my 60th birthday with only 1000 Km's on the clock. I have a Thumper Racing 340 Kit from the early 2000's that I will want to install. ( Long Story) I will be using this bike to do some Adventure riding and also it will hang off the back of my motor home as my wife and myself travel North America. She will at times also be on the back as a passenger for short trips into town etc. Want to make that as comfortable as possible, hoping there is someone here who has lowered the passenger pegs a bit!!! and can help me out with that task.

I have spent hours reading the various threads on Pumper Carbs etc. want to make the install as smooth as possible. I also want to keep the exhaust note as quiet as possible while increasing the HP output of the engine. Looking to upgrade the suspension and the seat as well, also will add some sort of windshield..

I am not a Newbie, having raced many an Enduro over the years and also have done some huge miles on KTM 640's etc. Just would like to be able to pick your guys brains.. Any and all hints, tips, advice etc will be totally appreciated.

First question, which carb? BB 34 or the Mikuni 36-68?

Thanks

Ed..

Last edited by fasteddy; 11-16-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

What about keeping the stock CVK.. It has "automatic" altitude compensation abilities - something the pumpers do not - and would not cost power if are going to run the schnorkel and schtock header..

Fud Fer Thot..

Oh yes, welcome to the forum, did you bring crayons? We need crayons..

Last edited by Klxster; 11-17-2016 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
What about keeping the stock CVK.. It has "automatic" altitude compensation abilities - something the pumpers do not - and would not cost power if are going to run the schnorkel and schtock header..

Fud Fer Thot..

Oh yes, welcome to the forum, did you bring crayons? We need crayons..

Crayons, I'll see what I can find... You make a good point, I am doing the 340 kit for sure as I have it available. Maybe I should see how the bike runs with a properly jetted CVK first. So now to find a starting point for the jetting once I get the 340 installed..

Old 11-17-2016, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Starting point would be our Top Secret Member "settings" spreadsheet - We keep it buried where no one will find it - deep in our stickies..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Dnc/edit#gid=0

Old 11-17-2016, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome.

I don't know of anyone who has lowered the passenger pegs.
The quiet aftermarket muffler is the FMF Q4 with quiet core. I recall someone fitting a ninja or some other sport bike muffler who claimed great results.
If you go pumper, probably either one will be good. There are a few active members here with the TM36-68, but the stock CVK is also pretty good.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Starting point would be our Top Secret Member "settings" spreadsheet - We keep it buried where no one will find it - deep in our stickies..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Dnc/edit#gid=0
Thanks for that, is there a secret word?

Old 12-11-2016, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default The 340 lives..

The 340 lives.. First try with the jetting seems promising, I installed a little used thumper racing 340 kit, opened the air box with a kdx snorkel , put in a dj kit, 128 main and spring with dj needle set at 3rd notch, left pilot alone, air/fuel screw at 3 turns out. Opened up the stock exhaust a bit while waiting on a fmf power bomb header.. Also added a freer flowing air filter, pollution stuff has been tossed as well. I will be installing an IMS tank in the near future. Looking forward to upgrading the suspension for my weight and riding style. I hope to take her for a ride today, it's snowing as I write this so it may not happen, I am pumped to see how she goes.
I do need to come up with a passenger peg solution before spring, all ideas on that are welcome. I must thank all who have contributed to this forum over the years, the wealth of knowledge shared has been invaluable in my build..

Old 12-11-2016, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice! I am doing the 330 this winter. Looking forward to how you like the 340.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fasteddy
... I will be using this bike to do some Adventure riding and also it will hang off the back of my motor home as my wife and myself travel North America. She will at times also be on the back as a passenger for short trips into town etc. Want to make that as comfortable as possible, ...
Now that seems pretty mean! My wife wouldn't tolerate having to hang off the back of a motorhome...

Old 12-11-2016, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Now that seems pretty mean! My wife wouldn't tolerate having to hang off the back of a motorhome...

She's a good sport...

Quick Reply: First Post, 340 Kit Install etc.