First KLX250S. Good deal, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

When your in a spur of the moment you do what you gotta do...

When we were racing we had to fix a leak in our oversize gas tank, a seam split and no bar of soap would rubbed in the crack stopped it. Emptying the tank then airing it out with a air hose was performed. Then a street bike was used to provide us with the needed oxygen free gases. A garden hose was put inside the exhaust pipe and started the other end was placed in the empty fuel tank. After a minute the hose was pulled out of the gas tank and a rag placed over the opening. Then kinda scared I asked how many times have you done this before to my buddy... Afew times was the response. Sure enough it didn't explode, but it still leaked so we had to do it one more time. I heard of this trick decades ago from Rob north a top fabricator.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
When your in a spur of the moment you do what you gotta do...

When we were racing we had to fix a leak in our oversize gas tank, a seam split and no bar of soap would rubbed in the crack stopped it. Emptying the tank then airing it out with a air hose was performed. Then a street bike was used to provide us with the needed oxygen free gases. A garden hose was put inside the exhaust pipe and started the other end was placed in the empty fuel tank. After a minute the hose was pulled out of the gas tank and a rag placed over the opening. Then kinda scared I asked how many times have you done this before to my buddy... Afew times was the response. Sure enough it didn't explode, but it still leaked so we had to do it one more time. I heard of this trick decades ago from Rob north a top fabricator.
Not quite sure I'm following here. Are you using the hot exhaust gasses in a plastic tank to melt it a little and press the crack back together? Why a rag over the opening? To keep the hot fumes in?

Old 02-07-2014, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Not quite sure I'm following here. Are you using the hot exhaust gasses in a plastic tank to melt it a little and press the crack back together? Why a rag over the opening? To keep the hot fumes in?
So there is no oxygen in the tank, hence no explosion.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
So there is no oxygen in the tank, hence no explosion.
I get that, but what is being done to cause an explosion? Is that the next step, like a torch to the cracked seam?

Old 02-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Have you tried pushing down pretty hard before trying to turn the lock? That's how mine is.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, tried pushing down very hard. Today I took the tank off and drained it. I'm going to let it dry out a few days, before I try drilling. It's winter here, so I have some time.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Aluminum fuel tank. Similar to this. Purge the tank of oxygen w/ exhaust fumes then welded the seam. Scares you at first then you realize no oxygen no explosion. Anyone normally thinking... yes it's scary. Sorry to go off topic

Name:  64e6043870141f186a54d419f938b523.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  289.9 KB

Old 02-08-2014, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a question.

Is it possible the cap has a different key? Does your ignition key work in the helmet lock? (I take it the KLX has a helmet lock.) If the key does not the ignition switch may have been replaced. It is possible to remove the helmet lock to get the key number and have a key cut.

I also think it would possibly be better to see if a locksmith could get the cap open, then you can get a key cut to fit or put on a new cap. At the price you got the bike it would be worth it to spend a bit on the locksmith. A cap is going to cost a chunk and there is the danger in drilling out the lock. Kind of a deal where it isn't worth cutting corners to save a buck with what is at risk.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Its definitely the same key. I'm still going to try and drill it out, I tried opening it with screw drivers and other stuff, so the lock is already pretty messed up.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, just to be clear, the gas cap is hinged, so if you destroy the gas cap you'll have to replaced the tank. I just wanted to make sure you knew that before proceeding.

Quick Reply: First KLX250S. Good deal, yes or no?