1st Gear Member
Default RE: First impressions and road report

Or my sticker could be

Wash/Rinse/Repeat

Old 04-12-2008, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

i did the grease on the end of the spring thing for a few changes and didn't encounter any problems. since i expanded the end of the spring it stays inside there all by itself. i haveused that 6015 filter since the bike was new and have not had any problems with it.
My first mod... I tried lcpl's trick of expanding the end coil of the spring behind the oil filter so it stays in place while installing the new filter. It was a little tricky getting the expanded coil in place, but once it was there it held the spring in position with no problem. You can see the expanded coil peeking out this pic.

Name:  filter_spring.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  37.1 KB

ORIGINAL: deej

Oh and on the oil filter cap, I thought it couldn't go on upside down. But then again I always look at the oil ports to make sure they are lined up. Perhaps we could all put a smiley face sticker or a K on it so we would always know. Just a thought.
Also, I reexamined the capacity to mistakenly install the oil filter cover wrong by turning it 180°.deej is correct, it cannot be installed wrong. The bolt holes would misalign. So no need for smiley face stickers I guess.

One last thing, the Fram filter CH6015 that I bought differs from the original Kawasaki filter. The Fram prevents the oil filter cover from fully seating. Upon closer inspection I discovered that the spring well of the Fram is 1.0mm (0.039") shallower than on the original Kawasaki filter. You might be able to perceive the difference in the pic below.

I know lcpl and others are using Fram filters on their KLX 250s with no problem. Hopefully mine just came from a bad lot.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool mod.

I recently bought a oil filter for an 85 xl250 from a Honda dealer, and was quite surprised that the genuine Honda oil filter is also an alternativefor the klx250 oil filter. Its also considerably cheaper. I fitted it today without any problems.

-Justin

Old 04-12-2008, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

i rode the bike hard up and down through all gear with all engine breaking first 20 miles.
dumped oil and changed filter. Wow, it took me a solid amount of time with that f'n spring. I used a dab greece but the bending is a better option.
bike seems to run fine. just got my full muzzy, air filter and 13T today. I am so antsy to put on the exhaust but was told without the jet kit yet I will mess up the carb. come on UPS get here already.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

it wont mess up the carb....... it will just run lean.... i ran my bike for a little while before i rejetted with the big gun on it....

Old 04-12-2008, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

ClassicMe, Interesting about the Honda filter. I wonder why it is less expensive.

Cosmickites, sounds like you are moving right into some great mods. I look forward to hearing back from you on how these change your bike's performance.

All, for whatever it is worth, here is how simple it was to expand the bottom spring coil (for oil filter); held the body of the spring with a paper towel, grabbed the end of the wire in the last coil with a pair of pliers, squeezed pliers and twisted the end outward about a quarter turn. It sprung back to the perfect size to fit tightly in the mounting lugs in the back of the oil filter housing.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I just lay my bike down and put it back together.... it needs a nap sometimes too....LOL... no grease, or bending spring.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Yup, laying the bike down worked for me too. No more nappy time for my KLuX[&o]

Old 04-12-2008, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, yeah, no prob dude. It will 'just run lean.' I'd rather get heat damage to my engine any day. I know you didn't mean that to sound that way, but it does[8D]

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

it wont mess up the carb....... it will just run lean.... i ran my bike for a little while before i rejetted with the big gun on it....

Old 04-12-2008, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ok, done.
it took all of 20 minutes to remove old and put on new full muzzy. also put in new high flow uni air filter but left cover on for now until I rejet.

Went out for a ride and someone said the new exhaust is like a shot of nitrous to the bike. I totally disagree, sorry. It is more like 10 shots of nitrous. WOW WOW WOW
the bike is like a new bike, even though it is a new bike. Sound is amazing, power is WAY increased over stock. I have not a clue how to wheelie, however, this bike is ready for it now with this exhaust. by the way. muyzzy took 2 days to deliver free of charge.

Do you all agree i am not killing my bike by having new exhaust and no jet kit yet? should be here in like 2 days and will get it done asap just dont want to royally mess someting up.

Quick Reply: First impressions and road report