Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 08-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

easy guys.....

Old 08-26-2008, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm a little late to this party as well, but last time I checked...

If you take a stock KLX250 with 17.0 horses out of the box and increase HP by 20% through jetting, mods & pipes you will end up with approximately 20.4 horses. Check me on this.

Also last time I checked...if you can increase HP by 20% on any machine you're doing very well. Check me on this too.

If I take my stock 2007 Corvette Z06 (505 hp) and make mods for a 20% increase I would end up with about 606 hp. That would require some serious tuning and perhaps forced induction like on the ZR-1 to get those values.

Let's not get carried away here.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I added the Monster decal package and it added 5hp!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

My conclusion from all this is that it's not very scientific to compare the results from different dyno machines. I think it is valid to compare results on the same machine like A16Tony and Scat did, or to get a baseline on one dyno, do your mods, then run again on the same dyno to see how they affected performance. Not only the machine matters, but you'll get different results with a different operator even. I think these machines are just not as accurate or precise as we want them to be.

As for this particular run, I'm personally skeptical that a stock bike with just the usual so called "grapevine" mods would dyno out that high. I wish we had a dyno run before those mods, I wonder what it would tell us? Do I think it is because of the '09 bike vs the '06/'07? I give that a very low probability, much more likely to be the dyno/operator/calibration, etc. There are too many dyno runs that put a "grapevine" mod'd KLX250S in the 21-22 range to discount all of those in favor of one isolated run that shows something different.

Dean's bike has that ultra-atomizing carburetor which is supposed to atomize the fuel much better than regular carbs, so I think his good result could be due in part to that.

So, there's my take, fwiw. I'm not ready to totally discredit the result, but that number conflicts with nearly every other result that has been observed to date and therefore doesn't hold as much weight in my mind.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I got my dyno threads confused. I meant to post this in the other one that had 27 HP. So here's another dyno run with the grapevine mods showing 21-22 HP which agrees with all the others. The "outlier" is the 27 HP run. Now the question becomes, why did that dyno record 27 HP when all the others record 21-22?

Last edited by Nobrakes; 08-26-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

well let me tell you why since your talking about me i didnt say our dyno was the most accurate i posted that thread to see why i got that horsepower out of it also i put it on the dyno for the correct curve and air fuel not horsepower so dont make a big deal out of nothing if i want horsepower i will get on my gsxr600 and put out some horsepower ive worked at the dealer for 4 years now and seen the same bike put up diffrent numbers unless thats what you set it up for your dyno will not be accurate we use ours to get you a nice evan curve

Old 08-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

We're not picking on you personally, Barthel, at least I'm not. I meant to post that in your dyno thread, not this one as noted in my edit. I clicked the wrong thread and didn't read closely enough and ended up posting in the wrong place. But there have just been many other dyno runs over the years posted here that show the mods you have should see around 21-22 HP. Your numbers coincide with those who have a 331/340 big bore, cams, port and polish jobs, etc. So something isn't adding up, that's all.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

ok i said i did not post that saying it was accurate if you read it says perfect setup that meant i found the right curve i dont care about horsepower but who put a stock 09 on the dyno were you getting 18 stock from kawasaki cause they are never accurate on the fuel range or nothing like that no manufacture is not all bikes are built the same you can have 2 stock klxs and have 2 different readings so if i put a stock 09 on the dyno with my back tire and it comes out higher than 18 your saying that cant be what if 19 or 20

Old 08-27-2008, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

the 09 is diffrent that is why the jet kit is diffrent and when i pull up all the parts in fiche look were used its almost all 09 only not other years so they did do some diffrent things to it i like this site i dont want to act like im right but you dont no what really they did diffrent unless you are building them but again i dont care about horsepower i was doing it to get the bike correct

Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Dynooooooed Hp means nothing...

Every bike is different even with the same HP parts....Twist that throttle on any bike where you normally wouldnt..Weighing ***** is where its at....

Rocco

Quick Reply: First Dyno Run > Not much for much money 2007 KLX