EXhaust Systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
Muzzy and BigGun are full exhausts, 2-bros. is just a slip-on. full systems equal max horsepower. buy a Muzzy or BigGun and be done with it. but get the KLX300 Muzzy as the new one is big and unproven and may melt turn signals.
No one has come forward and said the new Muzzy has melted their stock signals. It's big, but aren't the HMF and Big Gun's HUGE too? Maybe I'm thinking FMF instead of Big Gun. I mean, it certainly looks like it might melt them, but a member or two haven't reported anything.

I went with the new Muzzy in hopes that it's actually the quietest of all full exhaust systems out there. It was designed specifically for the 2009 klx250 in mind. Doesn't automatically make it better, I know.

To the OP, I think the bottom line is that you need get an aftermarket header pipe in addition to the muffler. Take your pick, as I believe that the only way you'll really be able to tell a difference between all the different FULL exhaust systems is with a dynomometer. Even just doing a dyno run with a Big Gun, and ready to swap the system on the same bike right there with a Muzzy system is not entirely correct, as you should probably adjust the jetting and air/fuel mixture just a little bit for each system. The air flow for each system will be different. How different? The forums may never know unless someone spends a day at the dyno with a properly jetted bike with the standard mods.

I used to get into these benchmark wars a lot on the computer forums. I mean, people would be arguing over a 4 frames per second increase by one video card over there other. To me, that's just too negligible to even notice. As long as I was over 40 frames per second, I was happy.

The same should probably be applied to aftermarket exhausts and other hop-ups. The dyno and PC bencmarks can't duplicate real world conditions. The real dyno you should be going with is the smile factor your new setup brings. Sure your HMF or Staintune or whatever MIGHT be a little less "powerful" than something else, but if it makes the bike that much more enjoyable, then it was worth the $300-$500 it costs to go full exhaust.

I hope everyone can agree and we don't get caught up in a war of innacurate dyno tests in which the difference is 1/4 HP and even less.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Muzzy rules!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoedogg
Muzzy rules!!!
Their customer service has been excellent so far. We'll see when I actually get the new pipes!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Everything I have ever understood about internal combustion engines says you only need a header pipe IF your WOT all the time, and have a motor that needs to rev high.( cams, porting ) Factory engineers are NOT idiots, and only compromised performance within close allowances, sure the muffler and converter take away alot, the fact is it breaths just fine unless its farkled out.
I dont ride on the ragged edge, and my motor will remain basically stock, so I figured why bother with a pipe, just a muffler will do.
Others argue that it will make the motor breath better regardless the rpm range, and the gains are well worth the co$t.
I also ordered the "quiet tip" for the muffler, cause I wanna be able to hear my IPOD. Again I dont think the performance gains will suffer to enough to bother me.

Just my thoughts.

Welcome to KF.
Good luck with your new toy !!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't let that iPod get you killed. . . .

Old 11-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
Everything I have ever understood about internal combustion engines says you only need a header pipe IF your WOT all the time, and have a motor that needs to rev high.( cams, porting ) Factory engineers are NOT idiots, and only compromised performance within close allowances, sure the muffler and converter take away alot, the fact is it breaths just fine unless its farkled out.
I dont ride on the ragged edge, and my motor will remain basically stock, so I figured why bother with a pipe, just a muffler will do.
Others argue that it will make the motor breath better regardless the rpm range, and the gains are well worth the co$t.
I also ordered the "quiet tip" for the muffler, cause I wanna be able to hear my IPOD. Again I dont think the performance gains will suffer to enough to bother me.

Just my thoughts.

Welcome to KF.
Good luck with your new toy !!
true, but have you researched the 250/300 header? it's smaller than it looks in diameter and it's welds inside are gunky and hinder flow. the opening isn't even as large as the outlet on the head. but yes, the muffler is the main culprit of no power on the 250S. 300 muffler is a different story as it flows as well as aftermarket.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
I mean, it certainly looks like it might melt them
yep, that's what I said.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

yep, that's what I said.
I agree, it looks like it might. But I wouldn't flat out tell someone not to get it because of that "might". Especially since no one has reported any issues, and I highly doubt they'd put it out without testing.

Time will tell I suppose!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Two Brothers sounds best...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=586jT3vvur0

Old 11-05-2008, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

t welds inside are gunky and hinder flow.
last time I had my pipe off I busted out the dremel and got rid of that weld. Its fairly large in size.
________
SYNTHETIC WEED

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply: EXhaust Systems