Exhaust Plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Exhaust Plug

For anyone who's interested, pool and spa stores are stocking winterizing plugs that are perfect for use as an exhaust plug. (The plug keeps water out of the exhaust pipe when hosing down or pressure washing your bike.) They're cheap and come in multiple sizes.

I got a 1.5" plug for my pipe (yeah, I know ... I'm a hypocrite since I don't even have the pipe on my bike yet ... BUT IT"S NOT MY FAULT!!! [:@]). I replaced the wing nut with a T-handle nut, and put a keyring around the handle with a red streamer as a visual reminder that it was still in place (A "Remove Before Flight" streamer would be cool, but I'm not ready for that next step yet -- I've got to finish dealing with Big Gun before I take on Top Gun!!!)

This isn't really a "Mod", but it IS low cost, and I'm sure it will be appreciated by anyone who's an "obsessive compulsive cleaner"!

Happy hosing!!!

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/2553/242C937866C3483F9F88694131787810.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Exhaust Plug

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY

This isn't really a "Mod", but it IS low cost, and I'm sure it will be appreciated by anyone who's an "obsessive compulsive cleaner"!
now that wasnt directed toward anyone now was it..... we dont have anyone like that around here...ah hum deej... lol

Old 09-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

he must use this stuff......

Old 09-27-2006, 08:38 PM

Speaking, um, hypothetically - I might know someone that washed their bike a time or two without using any sort of protection for water that might get into the exhaust. This person might have gotten some water into the pipe, he doesn't have any way of knowing one way or the other. What would you recommend that I tell this person to expect in terms of lasting effects of a little water getting into the pipe.

I would think that any water would just evaporate out of the pipe in the hot exhaust gases the first time the bike is run.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'd say fire that baby up and just let it warm up. Any water will soon be vapor. I don't think there would be any lasting effects. But next time, get one of these:

Oh, BTW, I think deej's bike uses a superball (beads) as opposed to a plug

Old 09-27-2006, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

Speaking, um, hypothetically - I might know someone that washed their bike a time or two without using any sort of protection for water that might get into the exhaust. This person might have gotten some water into the pipe, he doesn't have any way of knowing one way or the other. What would you recommend that I tell this person to expect in terms of lasting effects of a little water getting into the pipe.

I would think that any water would just evaporate out of the pipe in the hot exhaust gases the first time the bike is run.

Thanks,
Chris
My guess is that water could cause the packing to get a little matted down, but nothing too serious. Might affect the life of the packing somewhat and if it matted down, maybe performance and sound level. If the water were left sitting for a while, it could cause corrosion (except for aluminum and stainless steel components).

I've always run my bike right after washing to help evaporate any water that did get in the pipe, but with a 1/2" opening (and about a 5/8" opening on my previous KLR), probably not much gets in. With a 1 3/4" opening, though, I suspect that a lot more would get in, which is why I was looking for a solution.

A plug is probably more important to racers who don't have the time between motos to be careful where they squirt, and don't want to lose even a fraction of the horsepower that water in the packing might cause. (I'm not a racer ... just getting fidgety and wanting to do something while waiting for Big Gun to resolve my head pipe problem!)

Mike

Old 09-27-2006, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I'd say fire that baby up and just let it warm up. Any water will soon be vapor. I don't think there would be any lasting effects. But next time, get one of these:

Oh, BTW, I think deej's bike uses a superball (beads) as opposed to a plug
That works, too!

I don't know how a Muzzy spark arrestor is configured, but the Big Gun SA screen is right at the end of the opening, so a long plug that penetrates into the pipe wouldn't work. I thought about the Superball approach, too, but there's no room to push it "into" the pipe ... maybe half a Superball? (Would half a Superball be a normal ball? I suppose that would depend on how "super" it is, right?!??)

Mike

Old 09-27-2006, 09:48 PM

Hey, the KLX250S is a dirt bike afterall!

Who in their right mind would spend more time cleaning it then . . . . . . oops, sorry . . . . . I forgot all about deej!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

Hey, the KLX250S is a dirt bike afterall!

Who in their right mind would spend more time cleaning it then . . . . . . oops, sorry . . . . . I forgot all about deej!
I admit I give mine a hose down occasionally after a particularly wet or muddy ride, but generally it maintains it's "i'm a dirt bike that is legal on the road" look. But I do need to give it a good cleaning over soon before I pull off my cylinder to send it off to have it bored out. Even though the major engine components will be covered, I want to minimize any chance that a piece of dirt will fall into the crankcase during the process and take a chance on fouling things up ... that would not be good. Too bad Deej doesn't live closer - I'd work out some type of mutually beneficial exchange such as tire changing service for a Deej-clean bike wash. I just can't seem to get real motivated to wash my bike beyond a simple hose-down.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey speaking of exhaust and packing, on the Muzzy is there anything we need to do as far as "packing"? I didn't see any instructions as to that. And why can't they make a pipe that never needs packing? I mean cars don't have to right? I know the Cat converter probably takes the brunt of it but what's the scoop on the Muzzy?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Plug