An exhaust of a different note - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default An exhaust of a different note - Part 2

It's been a couple of weeks since I first posted about my Supertrapp slip-on exhaust and custom (i.e. home-made) head pipe. When I last left you, I had to TIG weld the head pipe, figure out a heat shield, and buff it out. I'm not at all experienced with a TIG welder, so it took me forever to get the pipe done. At work, they lock the shop up after 1st shift (to keep yahoos like me out), so I had toweld it up during lunch breaks.

Here it is, all welded up. In my last post, tremor asked me what my heat shield solution would be. The stock heat shield had a funky bend in it that didn't line up with the pipe. I figured that since I fabbed up the head pipe, I could make the heat shield too.

I started with some1 3/4" aluminum tubing I had laying around. I cut the tubing in half length-wise, drew up a design, then cut it out with a cut-off wheel.

After using practically everyburr, stone, and sanding roll I had for my die grinder, this is what I came up with. The bolts are stainless and have nuts on the back side that I tacked to the head pipe. I finished it off by sanding it with 180-grit paper to give it that brushed aluminum look. I used aluminum because it won't turn bronze with heat like the stainless pipe will do.

After a couple of hours on the buffer, this is the final product. Supertrapp provides a clamp for the muffler/mid pipe. I used the stock clamp for the mid pipe/head pipe connection. I had to spread it a bit, but it worked. Once everything was tightened up, it was leak-free.

Here's a better shot of the head pipe.

All buttoned up and ready to ride. I took some close-up pics, but the glare from flash ruined them. Those damn reflectors have to go too!

While I was welding the pipe a little at a time, Iinstalled my 340 kit and Bill Blue carb. There should be a special place in Hell for the person who decided where the carb sits! Anyway, I also put on a Magura 1/4-turn throttle from FSW, did the free mods, cut out the backfire screen, and put in a K&N filter. All that, and I have yet to fire it up! I took these pics at about 1 AM, so today I get to start my firebreather for the first time!
Needless to say, I am not the most productive employee today.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: An exhaust of a different note - Part 2

Man that looks sweet! Great job on that head pipe and heat shield, those are the best looking I've seen. With all your recent mods, you won't recognize it when you turn the throttle.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:10 PM

nice work! i used to work in a metal shop with all kinds of tools and equip. i miss those days. I'm wondering, after the pipe turns color from heat, can't you you brillo and pretty much not have to worry about heat discoloration again? You'll end up taking the shine off the pipe doing so, but it might be worth it if it doesn't discolor again. just a thought. I can't say that it absolutely won't come back. you may want to ask someone who knows for sure. Also, please keep informed about the 340 kit. I have a 300r that i just bought and am thinking about a pumper carb and am curious about the 340 kit.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sweet

Old 05-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

OK, you win the best fabricator award........ good job man..

Old 05-09-2007, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Very professional job on the exhaust there mustang. Let us know how the 340cc kit performs. What did the 340 kit cost you? I had one for sale, but now I am kind of rethinking things.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot, guys! I've never had stainless exhaust that I wanted to keep shiny, so Idon't knowthe tricks to keeping it that way.. All of the headers on my cars were either painted mild steel or aluminized. It will still look pretty cool even when it turns bronze, though.

I'll post something about my 340 kit experience just as soon as I get to try it out. It's killing me! [:@]

Matt, I got the 340 kit from Thumper Racing for $483.00. That includes everything exceptthe cylinder. Looking at my 250cc jug, I see no reason why they couldn't sleeve it instead of a 300cc jug. I think Bill Blue is already doing that - you might want to contact him. The cylinder I used is actually the 300cccylinder I bought off of you.

Thumper Racing and Kustom Kraft both media blast the cylinder to clean it up, and that takes the paint off of the outside. Bill recommended using Dupli Color High Performance Wheel Coating #WP101 Silver.Look at the pics and you'll see that it's a nearly perfect match! Thanks Bill.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:38 AM
1st Gear Member

That's awesome bro! +1 on the anxious to read results of the 340 kit! Marty's running a Bill Blue 249cc cylinder sleaved and bored to 331, but has conveniently developed amnesia after saying he'd show us some dyno numbers, oh well...maybe someday[8D]