Engine hesitation while cold

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Engine hesitation while cold

I've heard some folks on here talk about starting the KLX and within a minute or two being able to reduce the choke and I'm assume start riding.

My bike is completely stock and while I can reduce the the choke in about that amount of time the throttle response is well, non responsive. After reducing the choke and sitting at idle for 10 seconds or so a slow twist of the throttle will bring the rpm's up a bit but not to where they should be or would be if the engine was warm. It then takes a few more minutes at just idle before I can ride without the hesitation. The longer the KLX has been sitting (days sometimes) the longer it takes before I can ride normally.

Is that normal?

PS I've got some new LED lights coming and when I get them I'll post pics of my 07 license plate mod with the lights. So EXCITING.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

My '09 revs would hit a brick wall at 3000rpm, which it would not go beyond until it was totally hot (10-15 minutes on a cold day).
Carb jet kit cured the problem. You probably wouldn't even have to re-jet, just drill out the idle mixture plug on the bottom of the carb so you can get to the adjustment screw (controls low speed runability).

Old 08-13-2009, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Is your bike stock, modified??

Old 08-13-2009, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

completely normal. I was told sometimes rocking the bike from side to side can help get it running smooth faster. Cannot confirm or deny if this is correct.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigGreenBastard
I've heard some folks on here talk about starting the KLX and within a minute or two being able to reduce the choke and I'm assume start riding.

My bike is completely stock and while I can reduce the the choke in about that amount of time the throttle response is well, non responsive. After reducing the choke and sitting at idle for 10 seconds or so a slow twist of the throttle will bring the rpm's up a bit but not to where they should be or would be if the engine was warm. It then takes a few more minutes at just idle before I can ride without the hesitation. The longer the KLX has been sitting (days sometimes) the longer it takes before I can ride normally.

Is that normal?
Based on my experiences completely so, although as the old caveat warns "your results may vary". My '07 is still, for now, dead stock, 2300 miles on the clicker, and I'd guess your riding conditions are almost identical. It always needs to be choked to start but I rarely leave the choke on for more than 10-15 seconds. Even though I run synthetic oil I just don't like the fast idle on a dry cylinder. Once I pull out of my driveway the bike usually "stumbles" for the first 100 yards or so, which I've always figured was just the fuel delivery getting sorted out. And yes, the longer the bike sits the longer the stumbles last.

In the time it takes me to cover the 3/4 mile from my house to State Road 66 the bike is always running smoothly. SR 66 is a 60mph main drag around here, but I'm always careful to look for a big gap in traffic to pull out since I know the bike is nowhere near warmed up yet and I don't want to dog it until the operating temps get up a bit. Thing runs like a champ.

I seen lots of mentions here about how cold blooded the KLX is but compared to other bikes I've owned I just don't see it. Of course riding as sea level in 90+ temps probably has a lot to do with that....

Old 08-13-2009, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Member

normal, your carby is cold, as well as your engine. it is not suggested to ride a cold bike as engineers make allowances for when the bike is warm, not for when it is cold. the stumble that is mentioned is a misfire. its normal for a small engine to misfire as cold engines are easily flooded. let if warm up before you ride, you'll save in repairs in the long run.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fgk228
it is not suggested to ride a cold bike.
It's not advised to ride at all... I hear that riding two wheel contraptions is dangerous!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I think your need to do all the free mods in regards to carb, air box etc and re-jet.
The bikes run too lean stock.
And another thing is that these bikes seem very sensitive to the fuel in the bowl going bad when left standing for a while.
(no idea why and since I put the pumper on, no issue even after a few weeks)
Normally this results in it being hard to start but it might explain why your problem is made worse the longer it is left.

Or, just ride off with a little choke.
Not ideal but it won't hurt anything.

Get the bike breathing and fuelled properly and not only do I think it will help this issue go away, you will be happier with the performance improvement.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigGreenBastard

Is that normal?

PS I've got some new LED lights coming and when I get them I'll post pics of my 07 license plate mod with the lights. So EXCITING.
Your leaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Bubba.

I can go pull my bike out of the gare-edge (as our English/Aussie friends would say) and I can pull the choke out, start the bike, and maybe count to 2 and push it back in and it will idle fine. If I also want to, I can immediately hop on it and ride down the road and it will never miss a beat.

P.S. - If I'm lucky and I really rub my trolls head...I can even start it from the garage with no choke. Provided its really warm like it is now in the summer, and I had just ridden it the day before.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
I can go pull my bike out of the gare-edge (as our English/Aussie friends would say)
Hhahahaha, you're a funny man.
But, let me put you straight.

An Aussie would say Gareedge.
A Pom would say Garaarrrge.
A Kiwi would say Garudge.

Quick Reply: Engine hesitation while cold