Engine Cutting out....PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Engine Cutting out....PLEASE HELP

Hi There

I bought a KLX250 May last year and the engine intermittently cuts out. It happens whenever i'm slowing down and going down a gear, always happens with the clutch held in. It doesn't happen everyday, last week it happened twice, as you can appreciate it's bloody scary, i almost got hit by a truck last week.

It's been to a dealer 3 times, they couldn't find anything wrong, it's also been sent back to Kawasaki technical who also couldn't find anything wrong, bottom line is i'm not making it up or dreaming, there is a fault. The diagnostic machine might not be picking up on it but it's there.

Kawasaki's head office when returning my bike last time they told me that they'd changed the camshaft and clutch and that if after i test drive it the problem still exists that there isn't much more they can do. Obviously i wasn't happy with this answer as the bike in my opinion isn't road worthy and is therefore dangerous.

Anyone know what could be causing the problem? They've checked the stand switch.

Also my bike is probably just out of warranty now but was in warranty when i first reported the problem, anyone know legally where i stand, what would you do in the same situation. The bike cost me £4,000.

Thanks for any replies or advice.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

seems like an odd problem to have on a newish bike...only time i had kickstand engine cut issues was usually on rough teeth chattering roads at high speed....nothing to do with downshifting or slowing down...

only time i had engine cutting out problems during slowing down or downshift was when my valve clearance was very out of spec...i actually checked my valve clearance not too long ago and it was within spec, but my exhaust valve clearance was barely within specs...i didn't have shims, so put the valve cover back on without replacing any shims..thought it be okay for a bit...recently, i've started to experience engine cutting out when slowing down and downshifting in the mornings...i bet if i check my valve clearance today, the exhaust valve clearance will be slightly out of spec....

i assume the dealer checked your valve clearance....i don't know what else would cause your bike to run fine, but only cut your engine during downshift or slowing down...does this happen even when the engine is hot hot?...or, just happen in the first few miles of riding after starting and warming?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

there is a ground mod that people have done in the past let me see in i can find it

Old 05-28-2013, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Is your bike FI?
A problem like that with some FI bikes in GB has been posted before. Not sure what search terms to suggest. "FI bike cutting out"??

Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

There's a clutch safety switch too, at least on carbed bikes....
It has to be a loose/bad connection of some sort.
I would at least try bypassing the kickstand switch and see if that helps. Just remember to put up the kickstand before riding off. My switch was wonky and would kill the motor intermittently, even on a smooth road.
As a side note, I once had the main electrical plug become disconnected because some idiot (me) did not plug it in all the way. It wiggled loose to kill the bike, in the dark, and I couldn't figure it out...until I came back the next day and saw the plug a little askew. Plugged it in and the bike fired right up.
Sounds like something similar may be happening. Something simple.
I would bet the "mechanics" never rode it to try and duplicate the problem, then just threw parts at it. It's also hard to fix something that isn't obviously broken.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Very lean maybe? Also, extremely low idle RPM?

I'd go more with the kickstand/clutch switch first though.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

FI or carbed, it will make a difference in the advice you get.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Firstly many thanks for all your replies, much appreciated, i will make a list of possible things that could be causing it and send it to Kawasaki Technical, as they have got involved i don't want to start messing around with the bike otherwise they will try to push half the blame my way.

The bike is FI by the way, i think that's normal for KLX's in Europe, also the cutting out happens randomly, can happen when the engine is hot or cold, so doesn't relate to how many miles i've driven. I will most certainly run a search on the forum for "FI bike cutting out" to see what comes up so thanks for that advice ol'klx-er.

The clutch switch was replaced not long ago, the kickstand safety switch although hasn't been replaced Kawasaki believe it is fine and have checked it over. Thanks MaximusPrime.

Valve clearance i will get them to check, thanks ahnh666.

I suspected that the RPM might have been too low but they also checked this and said it was running fine, thanks 6thgear.

I will keep you all updated on progress, in the meantime if you can think of anything else please kindly let me know.