Dumped my bike need new 2009 plastics please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 04:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Dumped my bike need new 2009 plastics please help!!

Hey everybody my names Sam and I’m addicted to riding. However today while riding down a designated walking trail I dumped my bike coming around a corner. It sure scared the living **** out of me however I’m okay. My shoulder hurts but I don’t think it’s broken. Aside from a few small road rash marks im all set. Thank god i was wearing my protective jacket it definitely absorbed the blow. I learned my lesson about breaking in corners on sketchy roads. Anyway once I realized I was okay I was most concerned about the bike. She started right back up but then I noticed that the plastic that covers the exhaust was shattered. What a bummer but man it could have been a lot a lot worse.

**so i am coming here to find out information about buying new plastic. I can’t seem to find much of anything anywhere. The only thing i could find is a set of rear plastics or ferrings whatever you call them. The price seemed steep at $85 for the pair. Is this a good price? If not could you direct me to a site or send a link of a better place to buy plastics. If any of you veterans have some extra plastics laying around i would be more than happy to make you a fair offer. Also if you have taken a decent spill on your bike how did you react? Did it make you more cautious? Did it make you a better rider? Where you scared to get back on? I wasn’t scared to get back on and ride it home but it did shake me up a little. Also last thing do you guys think i should take my bike to a mechanic to make sure it’s not a rolling death trap. There’s no better to pose these questions than here. Much love to the riding community.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Basically, your riding a dirt bike. Most here have been down a few times, some, like me, hundreds of times. If you don't want to fall, you got the wrong sport and bike.
A buddy of mine, who never road moto, wanted to get a dirt bike to go camping. I voluntiered to help him navigate all the bike options and recommended a Yam 225. Then he said he had several knee operations and his expectations were that he would never fall. I changed my recommendation to "don't get a dirt bike'.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

As far as I know there are no aftermarket plastic kits for 09 up. So its dealer only supply. Unless someone else has found a source?

Old 12-15-2017, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with the bike assessment. If nothing's crooked (like tweaked front end, which can be tweaked back) all is good. No holes in side cases, good.

Look on ebay or in the market sub folder for plastics to get used. Otherwise it's new from a dealer.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

As durielk said, if you ride off road you will fall. I broke my leg in 2010 riding in the woods by myself. You heal up, learn from it and get back on the bike asap and keep refining your skills.
And again as said, it's basically a street legal dirt bike so you shouldn't be worried about damaging things or trying to keep it clean. If something important gets broken you replace it, if it's cosmetic patch it up and get riding.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a full set of used red klx250s plastic in good condition (there are scratches but nothing major or cracked or broken) for sale or I have one used black left side panel and one brand new black left side panel for sale. Hit me up if your interested.

Last edited by RaceGass; 12-15-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Looking at the partzilla website, you can buy a single plastic piece for the 2014 for $26. I believe it would fit for the 2009, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The only issue would be the color.

For the 2009 it's around $60 for one. Less supply I'd guess? Just search the more recent years and find the color you need.

Now what blows my mind is they want $52 for the plastic chain guard.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
Looking at the partzilla website, you can buy a single plastic piece for the 2014 for $26. I believe it would fit for the 2009, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The only issue would be the color.

For the 2009 it's around $60 for one. Less supply I'd guess? Just search the more recent years and find the color you need.

That's what I did, I bought a pair of white 2014 side panels for my 09. Same part but a whole lot cheaper. Neither come with the inside heat shield or foam pad. I made my heat shield from aluminum tape.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:22 PM

glad you didnt hurt yourself. im also glad you didnt plow into a hiker riding on a "designated walking trail". bad riding etiquette. I hike and id be annoyed at the least if some guy was riding his DS down a hiking trail......... i call it Karma. dont ride on designated walking trails..

Old 12-16-2017, 11:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording

You sir, are a freakin' evil genius.... never occurred to me to check different years, and I have a cracked '09 side plate. Best I could find was just shy of $70 or the used pair on ebay at $85 plus shipping. I had decided to just live with my ghetto repair, but now will spring for new.... Salute!

Quick Reply: Dumped my bike need new 2009 plastics please help!!