dual-sport helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Originally Posted by TNC
Interesting...most all decent motorcycle jackets out there...dirt or street...have a velcro collar design that sort of pushes up into the bottom of any full coverage helmet when you want it to block wind and such...and then open up and lay down more when you want ventilation. Maybe a better jacket design is in order?
Yes! A new jacket is in the works for sure ! I have a icon contra jacket . It it pretty warm an has lots of padding plus a removable liner , but Doesn't have a collar , haven't really had any luck yet finding a jacket with a collar I like yet . Any suggestions ?

Old 04-26-2013, 02:41 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

For off road and pavement combination rides, I like the MSR and First Gear products, though there are other good brands/models too. You can pull up pics and descriptions of jackets in their product lines. The ones with noticeably tall collars are the ones to look at for cooler weather riding. In the pics they look like the collars stay up like that all the time, but all the ones I've seen on good jackets let the collar lay down with a velcro or snap when you want more ventilation. Most of these collars are usually also well padded for comfort and warmth when needed. Now, if you have an unusually long neck, then an additional neck warmer might indeed be necessary.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

How often does this happen?
I was out riding some backroads yesterday with my Son and came back via another route on the highway. About two minutes on the highway I noticed my Gmax helmet started rattling in the wind. Caught up to my son and motioned him to pull over so I could check it out. Turned out the left side screw bolt that holds the visor and face shield in place had come loose and fallen out. Figured the best thing to do at that point would be to remove the visor and face shield completely until I could fix it properly, so I opened up the little stock tool bag and as I was fishing around for the Philips screw driver I found a small screw bolt, washer and nut. I`ll be dammed if it wasn't the exact size as the bolts that hold the visor on. It even had a Philips screw head like the helmet bolts, only thing it was silver instead of black like helmet bolts, but the thread depth was exactly the same.
Remarkably it was the only other thing in that bag besides the stock tools and my insurance papers, I had know idea it was in there, it must have been the previous owner who left that bolt in there and he didn't have a helmet like mine.
Seriously, what are the odds of something like that happening?
I was so tickled about the whole thing I went directly to the hardware store when I got back into town and bought six more of the same size bolts to keep in my, and my son's, tool bags. Of course I tightened up the rest of the bolts on both our helmets, so it will probably never happen again.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

It happens every so often, I usually check my visor once a week.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

A little of the light green wicking ThreadLocker 290 should help keep things together without creating a problem when you do want to remove/replace the visor.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, but the question was more rhetorical in regards to how often does it happen that you lose something and just happen to have a perfect fitting substitute part on hand? I certainly didn't have any spare parts kit with me, that little screw bolt was the only "spare part" I happened to have, and I didn't even know I had it, and it just so happened to be the the exact part I needed to make the fix and be on my way. What are the odds?
If only life worked out like that all the time.

As I said, we now have 3 of those bolts in our tool bags, so if life goes on the way it normally does, that almost guarantees it will never happen again.