Dual Rad fans

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Dual Rad fans

Starting to think of installing a second fan on the left rad with a manual override.

Yes yes I know, your fan never comes on blah blah...

Mine does and light comes on sometimes.

Have done some searching and can't seem to find anyone who has done this. Anyone have a link or something to someone that has done this?

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2016, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

There was a recent thread about that - with a solution. Some guy already had this problem and found a solution - you might even know him!
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ped-wtf-44138/

(For your Blah-0-Meter) My fan never comes on..

Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
There was a recent thread about that - with a solution. Some guy already had this problem and found a solution - you might even know him!
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ped-wtf-44138/

(For your Blah-0-Meter) My fan never comes on..
Lol smart ***...

Old 10-17-2016, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

It would make sense to make the effort if you are running a lot at high ambient temps. After all, a 20 degree rise in ambient temps would make it that much harder for the system to pass off the heat to the atmosphere.

You did swap out for a new thermostat, right? It should be wide open by 200, probably lower since it is rated to be significantly lower than 200. Quote from 09 and up manual:
  • Gradually raise the temperature of the water while stirring the water gently for even temperature.
  • Thermostat Valve Opening Temperature
  • 69.5 °C 72.5 °C (157 163°F)
  • If the measurement is out of the range, replace the thermostat.

Tells you it is a 160 thermostat, quite a way from 200!

Old 10-17-2016, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I did swap the thermostat and fan switch and running Motocool. . Been on 3-4 rides in hotter weather than yesterday and light never came on, but yesterday we were in a ravine, tight forest and slow moving, and light came on. Not unexpected, as my buddies XR650 also hit the red, but I'd love to be able to push more air to alleviate the possibility. Just don't want to cook the engine.

Rode for another hour on trails and light never came on.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

What the heck, if you can fit a fan why not? I don't know which side the fan is on the KLR. The KLX650 is on the right, so not a likely fit.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:23 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

All you need to do is install a manual fan switch setup to your OEM fan. Your factory system will still work as usual, but you have the option to engage the fan when you want before heat soaking escalates. The one factory fan is more than adequate to cool this engine as long as you engage it before heat buildup is very high.

The problem in some cases is that you have to be able to read the real operating temperature in real time. I have a Trail Tech Vapor instrument panel that has a digital temp guage. My fan doesn't come on until the temp is between 215-220. I don't like that. I think heat soaking has gotten a decent head start at that point, and I like to stop it before it goes that high. When mine hits 200, I flick on the manual switch mounted on my handlebar. I keep riding, and I have never seen the temp fail to lower regardless of conditions.

The one fan and two rads are extremely effective. There's no reason to mount two fans. Just incorporate the existing fan with some control...and a way to see your current temp.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

From TNC's observations, if there is any way to refit a 200F fan control switch, problem solved.. ?

Old 10-18-2016, 02:34 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
From TNC's observations, if there is any way to refit a 200F fan control switch, problem solved.. ?
That would be a pretty good solution. Still, I do like that manual option of monitoring my temp readout and using the fan when I want...but I'm geeky as it pertains to watching gauges. Even knowing the great cooling efficiency of our KLX rads and fan, I'm really impressed how fast the temp drops when you engage the fan. The 200 or so degree fan switch would be a nice option to have for those who don't want to monitor the instrument panel.

Honestly, I think the KLX is designed not to grenade at the factory set fan switch temp. It's a tough engine and is well designed to withstand pretty tough heat cycles. It's just that when I'm slogging up a nasty, slow, rocky hill or grinding down a long sandy river bed for miles, the manual fan absolutely keeps the temp out of the red zone.

I take it that the '09 and later models with the electronic instrument display don't have a temp readout....correct, or no?

Old 10-18-2016, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Correct - We ain't got no temp readout..
Hey, found this about the stock temp switch:
Radiator Fan Switch Resistance
Rising Temperature
OFF to ON: 95 - 101°C (203° - 214° F)
Falling Temperature:
ON to OFF: 87°C (189°F) or less

Last edited by Klxster; 10-18-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Dual Rad fans