Drilling Crank Case Vent Hole??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Default RE: Drilling Crank Case Vent Hole??

Isnt the axle nut 27mm of somewhere around there? I don't know why but this all of a sudden just popped in my head.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

Well I took it for a ride today, there is definatley something differant, I just can't put my finger on it. I also drilled out the stock exhaust with the 1/2" bit. It pretty much tore up my bit but I got it through. I could not tell a big differance at all really with the sound, maybe just a little bit when Idling, but when going at speed there was no differance in sound, but there was definatley some more power there, not a great whopping deal, but I could feel it.
Let me ask you this, what in the hell kinda tool do you guys use to get the air filter screen pictured above out?? It was a bitch to just get the top 2 out, I couldn't even get my wrench and socket down there to get the bottom 2 out, so I had to pry it open to get all the little plastic shards out left over from drilling the vent hole.
Also.... What would you reccomend for a good torque wrench? I was gonna go to sears and get the craftsman, I heard you can never go wrong there. What are the socket sizes that I need to get for the rear wheel off and front sprockets.
Sometimes, the engineering gods send us a message. I clearly heard the voices say "...you know what, that screen just ain't supposed to come out while the airbox is on the bike..." Shop vac baby.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:11 PM

I used a shop vac, but it didnt get alot of the little tiny pieces of stuff that was sitting under the hole which was drilled out inside the airbox. There was no way that the shop vac had that kinda power to pull all those little pieces of plastic from underneath the hole. Plus all the little pieces of plastic fell into the very thin layer of oil that had accumulated in the air box, sorta like sticking it to glue. Luckily I removed the top 2 bolts of the screen, pryed my hand down in it, and smeared my finger around the bottom of the airbox until I got all the pieces of plastic out that the vacuum wasn't able to suck out, and there was quite a bit of it, at least enough so that if it got sucked into the carb, well, it sure would have plugged it up.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:19 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: motoguy128

What are the socket sizes that I need to get for the rear wheel off and front sprockets.
1st Get a cheap electric impact wrench if you don't have one already. They are $50-60. 1-1/16 fits close enough on the sprocket and axle nut. I forget the exact metric size, but I remember having trouble finding it. I think the other side of the axle is a 22mm, but you can use channel locks or your hand jsut to keep it from turning enough to get the nut started.

Or you could get an non electric impact wrench for a fraction of that price, which will last forever unless your using it 10 times a day 7 days a week

Old 03-31-2006, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I used a shop vac, but it didnt get alot of the little tiny pieces of stuff that was sitting under the hole which was drilled out inside the airbox. There was no way that the shop vac had that kinda power to pull all those little pieces of plastic from underneath the hole. Plus all the little pieces of plastic fell into the very thin layer of oil that had accumulated in the air box, sorta like sticking it to glue. Luckily I removed the top 2 bolts of the screen, pryed my hand down in it, and smeared my finger around the bottom of the airbox until I got all the pieces of plastic out that the vacuum wasn't able to suck out, and there was quite a bit of it, at least enough so that if it got sucked into the carb, well, it sure would have plugged it up.
Guess I should have said "Shop vac with hose duct taped to the airbox vent hole so 100% of the intake volume comes out of the airbox baby". Nothing left inside mine after that treatment.

Old 03-31-2006, 03:58 PM

Ya that would have worked, lol.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

The socket size for the front sprocket and the rear Axel is 27mm. try not to buy a 12 point socket it could round the corners off the nut on the front sprocket.(mine was really tight!)If you can buy a 6 point socket (it fits much better).If you cant find a regular 6 point then ask for an impact socket. I just went to sears and bought an 6 point impact socket for $6.00 bucks (it was on sale, reg. price was $9.99)

Old 02-08-2016, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

would a 5/8ths hose from the crank case to a breather filter in the air box have the same positive effects?

Old 02-08-2016, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Would a 5/8" hose from the crank case to a breather filter in the air box have the same positive effects as just drilling out the air box hole?

Old 02-08-2016, 11:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2006KLX250S
Would a 5/8" hose from the crank case to a breather filter in the air box have the same positive effects as just drilling out the air box hole?
this might be a record for resurrecting a thread. man, this is MORE than 10yrs old.......

Quick Reply: Drilling Crank Case Vent Hole??