Drilling Crank Case Vent Hole??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 06:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Drilling Crank Case Vent Hole??

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

ORIGINAL: mrphone

So is it a good or bad thing to drill out the vent hole??!! What if you keep the stock exhaust??

From previous posts:

I just spent some time comparing parts drawings of the '06 KLX250S cylinder head and airbox with those of the '06 KLX300R. Our bikes have an air injection system that's not present on the KLX300 or the older KLX250s. This includes a valve that draws air from the airbox into the exhaust valve area during the exhaust stroke to increase exhaust gas temperature. It's the first thing you rip off a modern Bonneville because it makes the pipes turn blue.

The purpose of the air injection system is only to help pass the EPA. There is also a catalytic converter in the exhaust pipe!

Removing the air injection system won't make a darn bit of difference in how the bike runs but it will lower the temperature of your exhaust pipe a bit if you care about that. Mine's already blued significantly.

Todd, are you sure there is not a CAT? The owners manual says it has one. If so, would the cooler exhaust tend to adversely effect the system.

Yes, you're correct. There is a CAT and lower temps would be bad for that. I'd not mess with the air injection unless you change exhaust systems.

I only bring this up so folks will understand why their pipe is bluing so fast underneath the heat shield and for future reference in case you decide to swap out the head and cylinder for those from a 300.
You are correct. There is a CAT in the stock pipe. Removing the air injection system might have a small impact on the performance of that but it's main purpose is not to raise exhaust temp for the CAT but rather to burn un-burned hydrocarbons right as they exit the head. In general, removing this piece of junk does nothing but good. Less weight, less chance of a vacuum leak down the road, reduced header pipe temps.
Yes Todd you are correct i spoke to general,But the left over oxygen that is not used in this initial burn is used to help heat up the cat. to help burn off the remaining HC,CO,and NOX but not all, Again sorry for being so general, I forget that the qoute police are out thier

Old 03-20-2006, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

This medium does have its limitations. You are correct on the CAT of course. I guess I should have just said up front that I don't care if it functions optimally or not as I'm fixin' to junk it as soon as my Muzzy shows up

Old 03-21-2006, 05:00 AM

ORIGINAL: bmwhd
I guess I should have just said up front that I don't care if it functions optimally or not as I'm fixin' to junk it as soon as my Muzzy shows up
I totally agree. I'm all for clean air. But in my opinion, until they more strictly regulate pasenger trucks and SUV's, I don't see the point in strictly regulating small recreational vehicles. It's still a whole lot cleaner than a 2 smoke or most diesels.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:17 AM

On fourstrokeworks.com under the engine heading there is a kit available to get the same results without the oil in the airbox danger for 35 bucks.
im thinking it can be done at your local auto parts store for 10 bucks

Old 03-28-2006, 06:33 AM

I had my bike on it's side at elast 5 times on Sunday. Once facing slightly downhill. It sat in that postion for several minutes while I wrestled the rear end around so I could pick it up. Another time I have to make a U-turn on a 4 foot wide trail on a steep hill. Yup, yet again she was on her side for a few minutes while I carefully (so the bike didn;t slide down the hill, turned her around that hard way.

I never saw any smoke out the tail pipe and the oil level was still at the full mark when I got home. The one time it took a few minutes to start since the engine must have flooded being upside down... but no smoke. I can only conclude tha oil does not easily leak out the breather when the bike is on it's side... or that a small amount of oil escapes, but is easily drained out of the airbox or absorbed by the air filter.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:35 AM

i believe that but was just offering an alternative and piece of mind to inca

Old 03-29-2006, 03:33 AM

I know that someone probably allready answered this, but do I have to do anything with the jets to drill the crank case.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:12 AM

Alright Guys I just drilled the Vent hole with a 3/8" bit. So that parts done. It was tedious, but not all that hard. Now I am worried to death about all the plastic pieces that came out with the bit. It seems like there is alot of the plastic just hanging inside still connected since we were not able to use a drill to drill it in and get all the plastic pieces out. Am I over worrying or will this seriously mess up the bike. I used a vaccum but I don't think that it pulled all the pieces that are still connected to the airbox just dangling there. I did it exactly like you guys, so should I go ahead and start her up, I don't understand what else I could do to make it more clean in there?

Old 03-29-2006, 04:21 AM

I removed the air filter and scooped them out with my fingers. Otherwise, plastic bits should just burn up in the motor. ABS Plastic is non abrasive and like all plastics it's a hydorcarbon. Worst case you foul the plug, but I even doubt that from just a few bits of plastic.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:58 AM

Holy crap, why do they make it so hard to move the freaking metal screen out of the air box, my god. They put all those bolts in the hardest to reach places that my wrench could not reach. I got the 1st two off the top then had to pry my hand down to where the hole was drilled out in, and then pull out the little plastic scraps. Oh, and I also found some oil had made its way to the airbox, and this was before the airbox mod, whats up with that??

Quick Reply: Drilling Crank Case Vent Hole??