Did the Mods, Man I'm freaking tired - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Did the Mods, Man I'm freaking tired - Pics

Ok, So while everybody was stuffing their face this Thanksgiving with turkey I decided to be just a little bit more productive and do the Free / Performance mods and get it over with. I'm Soooo glad it's over with. I had 4 days off and thought now would be the perfect time to Finish up the major mods that I had planned for the bike. It was a grueling marathon weekend.

To Sum up I did the Following to my bike this weekend.

1 - Removed and reinstalled airbox: Installed a K&N filter. Opened airbox to about a 4x4 inch hole and screened in. Removed screening from the backfire screen. I Want that extra horse and a half. Drilled engine vent hole 3/8 inch

2 - Removed and reinstalled carburetor. Installed 128 main jet along with a 40 pilot jet. Drilled the slide 7/64. Installed the N1TC needle with the clip set on the 3rd groove down. I also Installed one of those Adjustable air / fuel mixture screws and set it 2 1/2 turns out.

3 - Removed the air injection smog equimpment and plugged the various holes in the airbox, carburetor, air injection pump at the front of the motor.

4 - Removed stock exhaust and installed a Heckler & Koch Full aftermarket exhaust system with racecore. Also Fabbed custom brackets to allow mounting the stock exhaust guard.

5 - Since it was so far apart I decided it would be stupid to not remove the valve cover and check the clearance on the vales too. these were fine with the Intakes being in the .13 -.14 range and the exhaust being in the .16 - .17mm range.

6 - Finally I decided after all this work, money, and effort, Plus my Previous Mods to the bike I decided she now needs a Number so I gave her one. If you have to ask I cant explain it. If you understand the number the name says it All.

How's it run?

Well I've only been riding it a few miles since the updates but so far Pretty Dam Good. Starts right up with little choke. idle's perfect, Runs good with no issues on acceleration and no pops or backfies on deceleration. I'm very pleased and I still havent dialed in the air/fule mixture yet. The biggest suprise I found and maybe the suspension and 13 tooth sprocket helps but I found that even at 220 lbs the bike will wheelie no problem in 1st at least. Just a quick twist of the wrist and just a slight tug on the bars and up she comes. Since I'm at only 550 miles so far I dont want to push to hard on the bike yet. Next weekend I will do another oil change on it and I'm also going to change out the antifreeze. Finally I will check the stock plug, try to dial it in using my mixture screw and install a Iriudium plug.This will be My 600 Mile 1st Service.

Thoughts and questions.

I encountered a few things and had questions about others I'd like to share with others and ask.

1 - I just couldnt decide on the second or thrid slot for the needle. I had planned on going the second slot all along but at the last minute decided to go with the 3rd as it's the Middle slot on the N1TC needle and a good starting point. I was also worried about being too rich as apposed to lean, but I knew I was going to really open the bike up. So far it seems I made just the right selection in jets and slots but only time will tell. I'm also at Sea Level

2 - This air injection / Smog setup. People talk of and I had planned on making a block off plate for the piece that goes on the front of the motor but just saw no need for it other then looks. I simply removed the hoses and 3 way valve and plugged the 3 connections with vacum caps. This front motor piece is just a Flapper like valve right so if you plug the vacum it's not operating right. Is there a Reason other then just looks for going to the trouble of making a block off plate to get rid of this piece. Can anybody answer this?

3 - Yep you guys are right. The Help brand vacum caps are total crap. I bought another makers set and a few of the larger help caps just in case. Thankfully I was able to use all the other makers caps. The other makers caps were 2-3 times thicker then the helps caps. Those things are so thin it's no wonder people have problems with them. Do yourself a favor and use quality vacum caps.

4 - I Like the Exhaust Guard mod Best of All and I'm disappointed in the airbox lid mod but I didnt have the Right framing material and I was in the final stages and rushing to get her Done. I May redo this one.

Future Mod's

The Freaking Mirrors have Got to Go. Their Next. Can someone Confirm for me that Any Standard Kawasaki mirrow will screw into the mounts. I believe this to be the case. Anybody Know for Sure.

300 / 330 Ummm maybe someday but not today because Today I have a Totally New Bike. For those that dont know me and for those that do here's My Mod's List guys and some pictures to go with it. The Last two are of a couple of my dogs I snatched while shooting the bike. The Boxer is Gina and the Peakinease is Rosie. LaTer People. Be Safe.

My Mod's List

Kawasaki KLX250S/H purchased 7/14/06
Total Milage so far 551 miles.

Previous Mods.

Removed All Misc information stickers from bike

Removed rear tail piece and replaced with fabricated license mounting bracket with LED light.

Removed and replaced both front and rear turn signals.

Removed All Stock suspension springs and replaced with Pro-Motion suspension springs rated at 220 lbs.
I believe they are 6.4 for the rear and .46 for the fronts.

Removed Front Reflectors

Serviced, Inspected, repacked All Stearing head bearings and Swing Arm bearings.

Removed stock and installed 13 tooth front sprocket

New & future Mods

Modified Airbox with open top, no backfire screen and K&N filter.

Modified Carburetor with 128 main, 40 pilot, 7/64 slide, Adjustable a/f mixture screw set at 2 1/2.

Replaced old exhaust with Super Duper high performance exhaust

Etc, Etc, Etc.
Thats all folks.
Enjoy....

LV

ThE End

Old 11-27-2006, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did the Mods, Man I'm freaking tired - Pics

LV, I've had way too many tacos and beer to comment on your mods tonight. The airbox cover mod and the mixture screw look trick though. (Do people still say trick??

But, it's nice to see some pictures of your ride. Very nice, sharp photos of your bike. It looks nice and clean. I don't mean clean as in not dirty, but the lines look clean. The rear fender job look nice, but I want to see it with the plate on it too. The pipe looks good too.

Willum
TC
Wichita Falls, TX

Old 11-27-2006, 05:40 AM
1st Gear Member

We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx... [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Willum
TC
Wichita Falls, TX

Old 11-27-2006, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Very cool!!

I like the screen on the air filter lid, that should really open it up!!

I can confirm that the after market folding mirrors I bought prior to getting the DualStar handlebar mirrors fit the original mirror bases so in MHO its likely that its a standard size and that any mirrors you purchase will attach to the stock base on either side....

Dave

Old 11-27-2006, 05:52 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah baby! 2112!!! And the meek shall inherit the Earth ...

Look like we have some Rush fans here, eh?

Old 11-27-2006, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice exhaust

Old 11-27-2006, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

"This air injection / Smog setup. People talk of and I had planned on making a block off plate for the piece that goes on the front of the motor but just saw no need for it other then looks. I simply removed the hoses and 3 way valve and plugged the 3 connections with vacum caps. This front motor piece is just a Flapper like valve right so if you plug the vacum it's not operating right. Is there a Reason other then just looks for going to the trouble of making a block off plate to get rid of this piece. Can anybody answer this?"

Yeah, it's just a reed valve. I think some people were going with a blank-off plate just to avoid using the Help brand el cheapo plastic plugs. I actually found an aftermarket kit with the blank-off plate and appropriate plugs included.

AWWWRIGHT, now come clean on the pipe. Is that the FSW header and silencer. I that's H & K then I'm "wreathed in smoke in Bogota" Mr. 2112

Old 11-27-2006, 03:58 PM

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Yeah, it's just a reed valve. I think some people were going with a blank-off plate just to avoid using the Help brand el cheapo plastic plugs. I actually found an aftermarket kit with the blank-off plate and appropriate plugs included.

Might you like to share the part number of the aftermarket kit you found? Or is it only available in Japan?

Old 11-27-2006, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, domestic Japanese product. It was highway robery (equivalent of $40.00 USD). I just got tired of looking for alternates to the Help brand plugs and didn't want to get too cheesey using bolts and hose clamps everywhere. It's the same company that charges $150.00 USD for just the adapter that enables us to use the pre 2001 CDI.

ORIGINAL: Marty

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Might you like to share the part number of the aftermarket kit you found? Or is it only available in Japan?

Old 11-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Man my bike isn't even that clean any more